Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you want something done ask a busy woman.

@Mominohio wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949, here are some ways they check for plagarism now. In addition to this professors also have software where they compare a students work against their own previous work finding amateurish sentences mixed with sophisticated sentences. http://oureverydaylife.com/universities-detect-plagiarism-5792.html

http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/professors-use-plagiarism-detection-site-to-check-students/artic...

I was also surprised to just read that a study was done at Rutgers by Donald McCabe where 40% of undergraduates (out of 71,300 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on tests and 40% of graduate students (out of 17,000 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on test. *Excluding first year students, code schools, and two year schools. Surveys conducted between Fall 2002 and Spring 2011 by Donald McCabe. http://www.plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and-stats/

NOTABLE SMALLER-SCALE SURVEYS AND SCANDALS:

Survey by David Wangaard and Jason Stephens of over 3,600 students in six New England-area high schools found that 95% of students admitted to cheating in the past year.  In addition, 57% of these students agreed/strongly agreed with the statement, “It is morally wrong to cheat.”
http://www2.cortland.edu/dotAsset/317302.pdf

Stuyvesant High School newspaper, The Spectator, survey of 2,045 students in March found that 80 percent said they had cheated in one way or another.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/education/stuyvesant-high-school-students-describe-rationale-for-c...

Seven College Cheating Scandals (short summaries): 

• MBA Students at Duke
  • Maryland Professor “sting”
  • Naval Academy Students
  • Henry Ford II 
  • UVa
  • GMAT cheating

Even before the software to check it, I would have never thought it would have been so high. That really surprised me. 

This doesn't surprise me at all. Like another poster has said, don't some of you wonder how some of the people you know or come across in your daily business, ever got a degree. I know I do.

I'm in my mid 50's and I fought the cheating all through high school and college. Our valedictorian (high school) was found cheating on finals, but it was covered up and she kept her position. I remember struggling for grades in high school and college, watching people cheat, many bragging about it, like it was something to be proud of (ie the poster here who seems to have that same value system).

There are a lot of smart and honest students, but there are a lot who simply aren't. And it becomes a vicious cycle for many. They can't build upon work they never actually did/learned and have to keep cheating to stay in school.

People cheat on their taxes, their drug tests, their mates, their diets. What makes people think it doesn't happen in school too?

What does surprise me is how naive so many people on here are about things like this.

Yes, I do agree to the bolded part @Mominohio and I have experienced that. I guess I never really thought about it. I can remember in high school I was taking a test and the guy behind me was trying to get me to show him my test so he could copy. That gave me such a feeling of anxiety, I was so scared I was going to get in trouble. I thought maybe 10-20% but never that amount. It is frightening to think your nurse, doctor, attorney, accountant, etc...had someone else do their work.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Absolutely! If, and that's a big if, you get her to agree to do the task, she will likely understand what is necessary to get the job done, and having agreed to do task, will budget time to do it. Not knowing what will come up, she will usually do task as soon as she can, and complete it early! It's win-win for those who asked her to take on the task!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

It's been hectic at work lately and folks keep calling my name for one thing or another.  Last week I asked my boss how is it we're all in the same boat and I'm the only rowing?  It makes the day go by like a shot.  At work I have mutliple irons in the fire all of the time.  At home, not so much.  I was born organized, lol, so I often multi task.  I try not to burn both ends of the candle anymore.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

So, OP who becomes so upset by someone breaking the rules bringing a dog in the grocery store that she reports the store but is okay with institutionally wide cheating? Hmmm 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

There is a software program designed to catch plagiarized papers now.   Even high school teachers use it.    Plagiarism is a serious offense and really shouldn't be tolerated.   

It's a lack of character, IMO

Well then I guess every college student I ever knew suffers from lack of character because they all did it. Seriously, if you are taking a full schedule of classes, it is almost impossible to do all the reading they expect plus just about every class requires a written research paper. Back in the day before computers that was a daunting task, and almost impossible to achieve researching and writting all those papers. So, kids who needed money and who were good writters did them and sold them to other kids. Apparently, if they think they have developed a software to detect it this wis still being done. We didn't consider it cheating - we considered it being efficient.

No, they don't all do it.  I never did it and I never heard or saw any of my roommates doing it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@151949, here are some ways they check for plagarism now. In addition to this professors also have software where they compare a students work against their own previous work finding amateurish sentences mixed with sophisticated sentences. http://oureverydaylife.com/universities-detect-plagiarism-5792.html

http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/professors-use-plagiarism-detection-site-to-check-students/artic...

I was also surprised to just read that a study was done at Rutgers by Donald McCabe where 40% of undergraduates (out of 71,300 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on tests and 40% of graduate students (out of 17,000 surveyed) admitted to cheating on written assignments and 43% on test. *Excluding first year students, code schools, and two year schools. Surveys conducted between Fall 2002 and Spring 2011 by Donald McCabe. http://www.plagiarism.org/resources/facts-and-stats/

NOTABLE SMALLER-SCALE SURVEYS AND SCANDALS:

Survey by David Wangaard and Jason Stephens of over 3,600 students in six New England-area high schools found that 95% of students admitted to cheating in the past year.  In addition, 57% of these students agreed/strongly agreed with the statement, “It is morally wrong to cheat.”
http://www2.cortland.edu/dotAsset/317302.pdf

Stuyvesant High School newspaper, The Spectator, survey of 2,045 students in March found that 80 percent said they had cheated in one way or another.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/education/stuyvesant-high-school-students-describe-rationale-for-c...

Seven College Cheating Scandals (short summaries): 

• MBA Students at Duke
  • Maryland Professor “sting”
  • Naval Academy Students
  • Henry Ford II 
  • UVa
  • GMAT cheating

Even before the software to check it, I would have never thought it would have been so high. That really surprised me. 

This doesn't surprise me at all. Like another poster has said, don't some of you wonder how some of the people you know or come across in your daily business, ever got a degree. I know I do.

I'm in my mid 50's and I fought the cheating all through high school and college. Our valedictorian (high school) was found cheating on finals, but it was covered up and she kept her position. I remember struggling for grades in high school and college, watching people cheat, many bragging about it, like it was something to be proud of (ie the poster here who seems to have that same value system).

There are a lot of smart and honest students, but there are a lot who simply aren't. And it becomes a vicious cycle for many. They can't build upon work they never actually did/learned and have to keep cheating to stay in school.

People cheat on their taxes, their drug tests, their mates, their diets. What makes people think it doesn't happen in school too?

What does surprise me is how naive so many people on here are about things like this.

This is what surprises me - everyone does it.  Clearly 95%  of students admit to doing it. So I guess that everyone on this board who are so stunned are all in the 5% eh. I seriously doubt that.

Respected Contributor

This blows me away.  I was an English major undergrad and so I had to read - and write - a lot.  I never plagerized or cheated.  I also worked full time during the last two years undergrad and during my masters. 

The idea that it's more "efficient" to cheat makes a mockery of getting a degree in the first place.

I guess it's no wonder we are so forgiving of politicians who lie, cheat and steal.

Respected Contributor

Actually I heard another statistic, 90% of the students surveyed said they would not think of cheating.  I still wonder why anyone would even admit to doing such a thing, let alone blatantly bragging about.

Of course, as my parents would say:  "if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you jump too"?  

I don't think the people on this board are naive, I think they are just honest people who were brought up right and have tried to do the same for the family they are raising.