Honored Contributor

Re: If you want something done ask a busy woman.

Who has the T shirt with the saying 'Stop me before I volunteer again!' on it?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

twopeas wrote, in part:  "I'm retired now, but my boss said when I was working for him (after he plopped another task on my desk) "if you want something done, give it to the busiest person in the office". 

I once had a boss that took advantage of me.  When I eventually had enough of him and quit, I learned later he had to hire two women to replace me.  Lesson learned.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

There is a software program designed to catch plagiarized papers now.   Even high school teachers use it.    Plagiarism is a serious offense and really shouldn't be tolerated.   

It's a lack of character, IMO

Well then I guess every college student I ever knew suffers from lack of character because they all did it. Seriously, if you are taking a full schedule of classes, it is almost impossible to do all the reading they expect plus just about every class requires a written research paper. Back in the day before computers that was a daunting task, and almost impossible to achieve researching and writting all those papers. So, kids who needed money and who were good writters did them and sold them to other kids. Apparently, if they think they have developed a software to detect it this wis still being done. We didn't consider it cheating - we considered it being efficient.

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Our PTA president is a CPA, mom of 5 and serves on 4 boards in our community.

Makes me feel kinda guilty.

Do you agree or disagee that busy people get more done?

No. Some people do things because they enjoy being in the spotlight. I have a sister who does this. If you asked her three kids if she gave them enough attention, they would spew anger. She gave them plenty of money, but attention...no.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

There is a software program designed to catch plagiarized papers now.   Even high school teachers use it.    Plagiarism is a serious offense and really shouldn't be tolerated.   

Well then I guess every college student I ever knew suffers from lack of character because they all did it. Seriously, if you are taking a full schedule of classes, it is almost impossible to do all the reading they expect plus just about every class requires a written research paper. Back in the day before computers that was a daunting task, and almost impossible to achieve researching and writting all those papers. So, kids who needed money and who were good writters did them and sold them to other kids. Apparently, if they think they have developed a software to detect it this wis still being done. We didn't consider it cheating - we considered it being efficient.

I didn't see this when I went to college. At least not with people I knew. It was a small college, maybe that's the difference.

Honored Contributor

LOL, well, that's the current thought, isnt it?

Cheating is being efficient.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@sidsmom   You just reminded me of a former qualification I frequently saw on résumés or in cover letters, "I multitask well," as if that were something to brag about and not realizing they were actually saying they did not focus on any one thing.  

Additionally, now we understand multitasking is stress inducing.

Exactly!

But at the time....I drank the same Kool-Aid.

I thought the more balls in the air, the better.

I realize now all that stress made for a difficult menopause transition.

Coincidence I became hypothyroid at that time? I don't think so.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

It's cheating. 

Teachers usually assign these research papers well in advance of the due date.   Not all students need to cheat to be "efficient".  

Seriously?   

QVC Customer Care