Would it be because of -

inconsistencies in the preparation

having contracted a foodborne illness

the level of cleanliness of the restaurants

the expense of what you get vs. what it would cost to make at home

food allergies/intolerances

the taste of the food

the portion sizes

the inconvenience of having to wait for a table and "share" your dinner with other diners

poor service

??????????????????????????????????????

Respected Contributor

Re: If you stopped dining out today ...

If I were to stop dining out today it would be because I am broke.

Honored Contributor

Someone wired my jaw shut while I slept isn't on the list.
Respected Contributor

Either expense or tainted food illness.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Super Contributor

A worldwide apocalypse!

Dining out with friends is an important part of my life

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was thinking about this because on Friday some co-workers and I went out to an Irish pub to celebrate two birthdays.

Two of us have some pretty severe food allergies and intolerances (identified allergies and idiopathic allergies). We each found about two "safe" entrees on the menu that we could eat. She ordered a salmon salad, but had to ask that the salmon be grilled without any seasonings or spices. She asked for oil/lemon wedges for the salad dressing. After a few minutes the server returned and said that they were out of olive oil. {#emotions_dlg.confused1} (There is a health food store in the same plaza where the restaurant is). The only other kind they had was a blend of peanut/vegetable oil. She decided against the oil. The only salad dressing on the menu without dairy or gluten was a vidalia onion dressing, so she ordered it on the side. Within minutes she had the tingling on her tongue.

I ordered the salmon entree, but had to ask about the "secret spices" that it was seasoned with. The server rattled off a few, and came back to the table a few minutes later to say that he told the cooks to prepare it without any seasoning. I'm not sure what the other "secret spices" there were, or if he was just concerned about the two of us so he didn't want to press it. My entree was fine, in that I didn't have any problems after eating it, but I felt badly for my co-worker. It seems that the more things I find that are allergens, the fewer choices I have for dining out.

Last night I went to a bat mitzvah reception, and nothing was labeled. Then they had servers coming around with appetizer trays, but I didn't eat anything. I was surprised that with the "peanut allergy" generation of kids there, they didn't have any cards to identify what the foods/sauces were at the various buffet stations.

I don't mind dining out, but I think that I can prepare most of the dishes better at home without the worry of secret ingredients and cross contamination.

Honored Contributor

On 4/27/2014 lolakimono said:

I don't mind dining out, but I think that I can prepare most of the dishes better at home without the worry of secret ingredients and cross contamination.

I can too; the problem is I'm sick of cooking. (particularly, large family gatherings)

I'll take my chances.

Respected Contributor

It would be because we can make the same thing even more delicious at home and we know exactly what's in it. We rarely ever eat out.

Respected Contributor

I like to cook at home so I can:

Create meals using only ingredients that agree with our systems and are good for you. (olive, fresh cream butter or coconut oils.)

I don't use salt or chemicals on foods and restaurants do.

I like to make my own portions, restaurants make too much food.

Waste of money, just went out this week for a simple meal and spent $75.00

Honored Contributor

On 4/27/2014 azterry! said:

A worldwide apocalypse!

Dining out with friends is an important part of my life

LOL

i am stealing this answer.....it is true for me also.....friends, family, s/o

(and i do a lot of cooking and entertaining at home also.....which is why i really enjoy going out at least once a week!)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein