Honored Contributor

Re: If you still smoke cigarettes

I smoke because I still enjoy it. Sounds strange, I know, but I do enjoy sitting down and enjoying my cigarette. Yep, I've tried to quit several times, but none "took". Why does anyone with an addition still do it? I'm also addicted to Cokes (the drink you little devils .. (L OL) and they are bad for you.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Smoking is an addiction. Some can break it and some cannot.

I lost both my beloved mother and sister to smoking. They succumbed to colon/lung cancer. My mother was only 49, but we already knew then (1967) that smoking caused cancer. My sister died two and a half years ago at age 72. She had smoked since she was 12, 60 years of smoking. She was much stronger than my mom, obviously, but it got her in the end. She smoked her last cigarette the day before she went into her final coma.

It may be their right to smoke, but it's damm horrible for loved ones to watch, especially at the end. It is not a pretty death.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2014 Marianne is complicated said:

I don't smoke, but I think this question is too personal.

These threads never end well, smoker's sometimes feel disrespected in their private choices and the lectures begin.

They are adults, I would suggest we leave them be in their individual choices.

Thank you.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2014 Predsfan said:

I smoke because I still enjoy it. Sounds strange, I know, but I do enjoy sitting down and enjoying my cigarette. Yep, I've tried to quit several times, but none "took". Why does anyone with an addition still do it? I'm also addicted to Cokes (the drink you little devils .. (L OL) and they are bad for you.

I quit cold turkey 25 years ago at age 33. I enjoyed it also. Probably the hardest part of quitting was not having that "time"I took to have one. I had all this "time" to fill. So I decided to fill it with walking....and I walked a lot! LOL! It was like losing a friend of sorts..... A very deadly uncaring selfish friend. But I still missed that friend.... I guess I value life and health more than a moment of pleasure. I think you have to quit for health and respecting your body. That was the only thing that worked for me after trying several times prior for other reasons.....
Honored Contributor

Why do some people do illegal drugs, drink excessively, over eat, etc???? Marianne is correct. The question is too personal.
Occasional Contributor

Predsfan I posted before you I too enjoy smoking. My choice, don't have to defend it to anyone. I know plenty of people who have died from cancer and have never smoked a day in their lives. What about all the pollution people breath in every day from buses, truck exhaust, factories. Whoever started this thread should just move on to attacking some other group who lead "corrupt" lives.

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2014 loveschocolate said: Why do some people do illegal drugs, drink excessively, over eat, etc???? Marianne is correct. The question is too personal.
No one has to answer it if it is too personal. Sometimes talking about it can give someone a new perception or viewpoint, NOT talking about things is why things do not get better.
Honored Contributor

My Doctor told me I had to quit! So I did.. then my husband was diagnosed with cancer & his medical oncologist told him, "If I find out you started smoking again, I'll drop you as my patient." He never smoked again..

The places we love & go- Disney and football, we'd be foolish to smoke and do all that walking plus there aren't many places at either place to smoke- Neyland Stadium is smoke free and Disney is cutting down on their smoking areas.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I have friends that smoke but most do not. My friends who smoke are welcome to come to my house and I have a nice little deck area where they can smoke.

One thing I do notice with my smoker vs non smoker friends is that I hear a lot of talk about ""oh how could they smoke knowing what we know"" but these are the same people who go up to the smoker to bum cigarettes all night and try to hide their smoking from others. I have to say I do know a lot of preachy non smokers who have a couple of cigs when drinking socially. I have to laugh at the hypocrisy.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 3/10/2014 deblper said:

Predsfan I posted before you I too enjoy smoking. My choice, don't have to defend it to anyone. I know plenty of people who have died from cancer and have never smoked a day in their lives. What about all the pollution people breath in every day from buses, truck exhaust, factories. Whoever started this thread should just move on to attacking some other group who lead "corrupt" lives.

No one is attacking anyone. You seem to be on the attack?