Respected Contributor

Re: If you saw and heard a couple arguing...

Assault is a crime and I would call to report the crime.

Honored Contributor

I tried to intervene once, from a second story apartment window - the couple was fighting on the street below.

They yelled at me to MYOB.

I'd call 911 and let the police handle it.

As far as men not reporting violence perpetrated upon them by women, many women don't report it either when men are abusing them and for a similar reason. They are ashamed, embarassed AND they are afraid.

There seem to be a lot of posts lately alluding to the idea that domestic violence is being perpetrated against men just as much as against women. I don't think so.

Honored Contributor

I'd call 911 and be a witness if needed.

Esteemed Contributor

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 sciencegeek said:
On 9/13/2014 Free2be said:

It depends on the location, how close "help" is, how isolated the setting. I would not set myself up to get more involved but I hope I could say something that might stop or slow her down. I think most men are capable of protecting themselves, walking or running away.

Men can be and ARE also victims of domestic violence. It's one of the most under-reported crimes, because they are embarrassed to admit it, and because most awareness and services are targeted toward female victims.

You are absolutely correct, sciencegeek:

SUMMARY: According to a 2010 national survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Department of Justice, in the last 12 months more men than women were victims of intimate partner physical violence and over 40% of severe physical violence was directed at men. Men were also more often the victim of psychological aggression and control over sexual or reproductive health. Despite this, few services are available to male victims of intimate partner violence.

Physical violence

More men than women were victims of intimate partner physical violence within the past year, according to a national study funded by the Centers for Disease Control and U.S. Department of Justice. According to the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (hereinafter NISVS) released in December, 2011, within the last 12 months an estimated 5,365,000 men and 4,741,000 women were victims of intimate partner physical violence. (Black, M.C. et al., 2011, Tables 4.1 and 4.2)

For more on this study, see the following link: http://www.saveservices.org/2012/02/cdc-study-more-men-than-women-victims-of-partner-abuse/

Another study: http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/men-the-overlooked-victims-of-domestic-violence/

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

That is why I would be a witness because so many women would try to turn it around and say the man was the abuser. I man cannot even defend himself because if he tried to get her away from him, he would be accused of being the abuser. I've seen many situations where this has happened.

Honored Contributor

Other sources state that women are victims of domestic abuse in far greater numbers than are men.

Women are also more likely to be killed by their partners than men are.

Honored Contributor

Why all this concern about men?

Women still die in MUCH higher numbers than male partners...women are many times more likely to be s3xually assaulted too by someone they know.

Jodi Arias is still the exception to the rule.

Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

Other sources state that women are victims of domestic abuse in far greater numbers than are men.

Women are also more likely to be killed by their partners than men are.

I would be interested in seeing those sources...thanks!

In the sources I provided, they explained why the sources you may be quoting from are outdated or incorrect.

Super Contributor

On 9/13/2014 terrier3 said:

Why all this concern about men?

Women still die in MUCH higher numbers than male partners...women are many times more likely to be s3xually assaulted too by someone they know.

Jodi Arias is still the exception to the rule.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe because they are part of humanity?