Super Contributor

Re: If you plan to complain about animals on planes

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Why is it that people who have peanut allergies have successfully had them banned on planes and in schools, yet people with pet allergies are expected to leave the plane and be inconvenienced by taking another flight.  

——

Peanut allergies can be fatal.  I’ve never heard of a fatal pet allergy, although I suppose anything is possible.  

Honored Contributor

An allergy can always be fatal especially if you have asthma no matter what the allergen is. 

I am highly allergic to pet dander (not life threatening) but it makes you MISERABLE.  For those of you who think you can just "take a pill", yes you can.  If you have one on you. 

But drugging myself and then dealing with the sedative effects of the antihistamine for the next couple of days is also not pleasant.  If you have never had this kind of allergic reaction, count yourself among the lucky.    

I have honestly never thought of this since I have never encountered a pet that I know of on one of my flights and I fly quite often.  It would never even cross my mind to carry Benadryl in case the person next to me had a cat or a box of tissues that I would need to get through the next couple of hours and subsequent days. 

I am all for pets on planes, I had two poodles, and I am one of the biggest pet lovers you'll ever see.  As long as the rules are followed of keeping the pet contained and having a respectful owner that actually bathes their pet on a regular basis to get rid of the dander as much as you can makes a better communal world for everyone to live in.

I feel like this whole world argues about the same thing all the time.  Newsflash:  Everything you and I do affects another person in some way so please be considerate and do what you can to make the people around you (especially when they can't walk away) as comfortable as you'd like you be in your own bubble of the world.  Public places are shared always so share nicely.          

Valued Contributor

IF i had a life threatening allergy to animals and found there were a one or two on a flight, you wouldnt need to call security to get me off the plane, I'd leave immediately on my own accord, THEN discuss another flight.  Doesnt make sense that she doesnt carry verification from a doc with her.  She's an idiot

Honored Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

IF i had a life threatening allergy to animals and found there were a one or two on a flight, you wouldnt need to call security to get me off the plane, I'd leave immediately on my own accord, THEN discuss another flight.  Doesnt make sense that she doesnt carry verification from a doc with her.  She's an idiot

That is what I kept thinking. If my allergy for animals was that bad, I would not want to stay on a plane. It is an enclosed area and I am sure only make my reaction worse. I would want to get out into another area that wasn't enclosed with animals.

Plus, if my allergy was that severe, wouldn't she be carrying a remedy?  

Honored Contributor

I take allergy meds 365 days a year. And it's certainly not benadryl as there are much better quality meds now days. If your allergies are truly life threatening why wouldn't you be under the care of a board certified allergist and following his medication recommendations?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I saw that on the news and read it this morning and I laughed both times.  It's what peopl do now whenever they encounter something they don't like or don't want to deal with.  The "allergy" excuse.  It's everywhere; allergic to smoke, allergic to animals, allergic to perfume, allergic to tap water....lol   As I a department manager, I could write a book on "allergies"   Allergies are serious medical conditions and most, if not all, businesses will accommodate people who have medical documenation.  And people who have serious allergies know enough to have that documentation with them at all times.  That woman was just a nut case who didn't want to be in the proximity of animal.  The "allergy" excuse probably worked for her before and she expected it would work again.  Hubby thinks she was instigating a forced removal so she could cash in on a settlement.  She thought the other passengers would be supportive....guess not.  People love animals...lol  Shame on SW for caving into blackmail and throwing the police and their crew under the bus.  I suppose throwing a free ticket and a couple of thousand bucks at her was worth it for them.

Respected Contributor

If you're that allergic you just get off the plane. Instead she fought to stay on the plane? She's allergic alright allergic to being a decent person. She hates animals and she threw a fit. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I saw that on the news and read it this morning and I laughed both times.  It's what peopl do now whenever they encounter something they don't like or don't want to deal with.  The "allergy" excuse.  It's everywhere; allergic to smoke, allergic to animals, allergic to perfume, allergic to tap water....lol   As I a department manager, I could write a book on "allergies"   Allergies are serious medical conditions and most, if not all, businesses will accommodate people who have medical documenation.  And people who have serious allergies know enough to have that documentation with them at all times.  That woman was just a nut case who didn't want to be in the proximity of animal.  The "allergy" excuse probably worked for her before and she expected it would work again.  Hubby thinks she was instigating a forced removal so she could cash in on a settlement.  She thought the other passengers would be supportive....guess not.  People love animals...lol  Shame on SW for caving into blackmail and throwing the police and their crew under the bus.  I suppose throwing a free ticket and a couple of thousand bucks at her was worth it for them.

It's not always made up though. I actually have had breathing problems from various triggers, including smoke, perfume, pine and various cleaning solutions and aerosols. 

And really that has nothing to do with this woman or the subject of this thread, because it's really about the fact that she refused to leave the plane than anything else. 

When I'm exposed to a trigger, I immediately want to get as far away from it as possible. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I take allergy meds 365 days a year. And it's certainly not benadryl as there are much better quality meds now days. If your allergies are truly life threatening why wouldn't you be under the care of a board certified allergist and following his medication recommendations?

It is great that you have your allergies under control. 

The best advise allergists have is to avoid the trigger.  Obviously that is not always possible and emergency situations occur.  The immune system can be a tricky thing.  It is not always possible to determine how sever a reaction will be or if the medications you are carrying are sufficient.  Continued exposure, such as in a plane, may escalate the severity of the reaction.  Emergency help while in mid-air is very difficult.   

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

It is great that you have your allergies under control. 

The best advise allergists have is to avoid the trigger.  Obviously that is not always possible and emergency situations occur.  The immune system can be a tricky thing.  It is not always possible to determine how sever a reaction will be or if the medications you are carrying are sufficient.  Continued exposure, such as in a plane, may escalate the severity of the reaction.  Emergency help while in mid-air is very difficult.   

Which is why she should have left the dang plane. People who are in their right mind and are really scared for their health do not sit there keeping themselves exposed. They get the heck away from it ASAP, They don't play power games trying to get other people to move away from them. BTDT.