Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you plan to complain about animals on planes

@jaxs mom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

While not condoning this ladies behavior, how many people with allergies carry doctors notes with them concerning a variety of situations.  The vast majority of flights are pet free,  why would anyone think of getting a note in order to fly.  

If you have an allergy that is so serious that anaphylaxis is a real possibility then you should be carrying an epipen and the appropriate documentation to travel with it. And yes I have allergies and yes I have people close to me that have life threatening allergies ( in this case peanuts). 

She should have just gotten off the plane the first time she was asked. 

If she would have had this documentation would those with the pets been asked to leave or would she still have been asked to get off the plane.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Why is it that people who have peanut allergies have successfully had them banned on planes and in schools, yet people with pet allergies are expected to leave the plane and be inconvenienced by taking another flight.  

Because most peanut allergies are actually literally life-threatening most of the time, while allergies to animals are not. Bottom line.

Because death is more serious than annoyance or inconvenience. People who sneeze at animal dander can take a pill; people who consume or breathe peanuts can literally die in minutes. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I just now saw this on Inside Edition and I wasn't aware that people can drag on their own animals. If I"m understanding right ? I know service animals are OK and I'm all for these working animals, but, now days can anybody bring in their cats, dogs, birds, snakes, fish, rabbits, calves, etc. ?

I don't fly any more. Has it gotten this bad ?

I've been on many flights with dogs in the passenger cabin and they have never been disruptive in any way.  Humans, on the other hand, could learn a lot about good behavior from some of our dogs and cats and other pets.  Just my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Why is it that people who have peanut allergies have successfully had them banned on planes and in schools, yet people with pet allergies are expected to leave the plane and be inconvenienced by taking another flight.  

Because most peanut allergies are actually literally life-threatening most of the time, while allergies to animals are not. Bottom line.

Because death is more serious than annoyance or inconvenience. People who sneeze at animal dander can take a pill; people who consume or breathe peanuts can literally die in minutes. 

If you say so, not sure the medical profession would agree,.  Yet the question remains why are some given special treatment while others are not and who determines that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I have flown with my dogs in bags under my seat. The dogs were so quiet that I am sure most of the people on the plane didn't even know they were there.

i once flew from LA to Baltimore and didn't know the lady beside me had a cat under her seat until we landed and we're getting off.

It's common for pets to fly with their owners, but most passengers have no clue they are on board.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

If you say so, not sure the medical profession would agree,.  Yet the question remains why are some given special treatment while others are not and who determines that.

They would; I've looked it up and others have posted links to online articles in the multiple previous threads on this topic. Whether you choose to accept it is of course your decision.

Why is paying a fee to have your animal with you, arriving with all necessary paperwork and paraphernalia arranged in advance and 100% in compliance with airline policies and rules, "special treatment?" Especially when the other party did not follow airline policies and rules and did not attempt to, nor did they attempt to cooperate or compromise, they just wanted/felt they were entitled to the upper hand and wanted it their way.

"The question" is individual to the airlines or other business, based on Federal law. The business must follow Federal law, but they can interpret it with variations. Don't like that airline's policies, fly a different airline with different policies.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Times have changed.  When I had my cat under the seat in front of me only 1 other animal could be on the plane.  I heard on the news today that one airline allows 4 or 6 animals (a bit much).  My cat had to be in a special carrier that would fit under the seat in front of me.  Sounds like the rules have changed.  As far as allergies.  Yes, people should carry proof of their allergies to animals.  However, people with allergies need to find out beforehand if any animals will be on board.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

They would; I've looked it up and others have posted links to online articles in the multiple previous threads on this topic. Whether you choose to accept it is of course your decision.

Why is paying a fee to have your animal with you, arriving with all necessary paperwork and paraphernalia arranged in advance and 100% in compliance with airline policies and rules, "special treatment?" Especially when the other party did not follow airline policies and rules and did not attempt to, nor did they attempt to cooperate or compromise, they just wanted/felt they were entitled to the upper hand and wanted it their way.

"The question" is individual to the airlines or other business, based on Federal law. The business must follow Federal law, but they can interpret it with variations. Don't like that airline's policies, fly a different airline with different policies.

What if a person is also on the flight with all the documentatiin, 100% in compliance, who gets off the plane.  Who gets the "special treatment".

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I just now saw this on Inside Edition and I wasn't aware that people can drag on their own animals. If I"m understanding right ? I know service animals are OK and I'm all for these working animals, but, now days can anybody bring in their cats, dogs, birds, snakes, fish, rabbits, calves, etc. ?

@SharkE wrote:

My understanding is that the animal must be crated, have all up to date shots and vet clearance and a fee is paid as well.

I don't think it's a matter of dragging an animal on board; this requires some planning.

Did the idiot w/the allergies really think that her whining and entitlement were going to overturn policy? I'm glad she got booted.

Honored Contributor

I read about this earlier today.  In addition to the information @Moonchilde supplied in the article, the one I read also had commentary from some of the passengers on the plane who encouraged her to get off and do it quickly as they wanted to get going.  It sounded like no one was supporting her so maybe there were a few other things in play here in terms of her and/or her behavior.