Honored Contributor

Re: If you plan to complain about animals on planes

@sunshine45 wrote:

you can pay for your dogs to be on the plane.

when that woman knew that two dogs were on the plane she should have told the flight attendant immediately, asked to be booked on another plane that did not have dogs on it, and she should carry some type of doctors note that states she has a severe allergy. if it was THAT life threatening she should have left the plane immediately.

Which means she doesn't have a life-threatening allergy, but said she did to get what she wanted - rid of the dogs. And I hope this occurrence sends a message that animals are here to stay on planes and people will just have to deal whether it suits them or not.  AND the message that airlines do not have a responsibility or mandate to fly any passenger period, regardless of their state of health - especially if they didn't disclose it beforehand.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

IMHO, that woman was a nutcase just looking for a substantial handout!  Had she been allergic - without papers - she woud have gladly deplaned.

Hope the airline doesn't give her a dime.  Also hope the media doesn't make a big deal out of nothing - that probablu won't happen!

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I just now saw this on Inside Edition and I wasn't aware that people can drag on their own animals. If I"m understanding right ? I know service animals are OK and I'm all for these working animals, but, now days can anybody bring in their cats, dogs, birds, snakes, fish, rabbits, calves, etc. ?

I don't fly any more. Has it gotten this bad ?

@SharkE, as I understand it, if your critter fits in a carrier that fits under a seat, and you pay the airline's fee, you're good to go.

Larger animals MUST be bona fide, registered, doctor's letter and all that, service animals or emotional support animals.

BUT - each airline sets rules within that. AA apparently allows ONLY dogs or cats and refuses all others; not sure how/why they can declare that. Other airlines allow more animals, because I have heard of a pig flying <snork>.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

you can pay for your dogs to be on the plane.

when that woman knew that two dogs were on the plane she should have told the flight attendant immediately, asked to be booked on another plane that did not have dogs on it, and she should carry some type of doctors note that states she has a severe allergy. if it was THAT life threatening she should have left the plane immediately.

Which means she doesn't have a life-threatening allergy, but said she did to get what she wanted - rid of the dogs. And I hope this occurrence sends a message that animals are here to stay on planes and people will just have to deal whether it suits them or not.  AND the message that airlines do not have a responsibility or mandate to fly any passenger period, regardless of their state of health - especially if they didn't disclose it beforehand.

@Moonchilde  I'd add regardless to their state of mind (or lack thereofWoman LOL)  to that.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly, if I had a life threatening allegy to pets, I would think twice about flying in the first place. Even if there are no pets on the current flight, how can you know if the previous passenger in your seat might have had a pet?

And, yes, resistance isn't the best option on an airline. I would hope they enforce stated policies rather than going "nevermind, you don't like our policy, we'll just ignore it." In my mind, any injury they sustain is on them. Think about it. Even a small child that was kicking and screaming could easily sustain an injury. How successful would you be at maneuvering an able bodied adult who was resisting down a narrow aisle?

Esteemed Contributor

Why is it that people who have peanut allergies have successfully had them banned on planes and in schools, yet people with pet allergies are expected to leave the plane and be inconvenienced by taking another flight.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

i have traveled with my cat/s many times over the last 30 some years. you have to plan ahead to make a reservation etc.  never heard of there being a problem like this.

Honored Contributor

There are all kinds of hoops to jump through for the passenger who is traveling on a plane with their pet. My son brought his rescue cat home with him from Mexico last year and it cost hundreds of dollars to just get the pet on board. Document of wellness from the vet, special pet carrier that would fit under the seat and 150 dollars for the cat to ride. No one even knew there was a cat on board, he didn't make a sound. If you are allergic you should have documentation to prove it, but I would think that could be resolved when the passenger purchases a ticket.

Esteemed Contributor

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Why is it that people who have peanut allergies have successfully had them banned on planes and in schools, yet people with pet allergies are expected to leave the plane and be inconvenienced by taking another flight.  

I just flew Southwest recently & they still do the peanuts.

I shake my head when I see all these peanut packages being opened

and invisible dust being scattered everywhere in the air & on the 

seats, trays, magazines in an enclosed area....and yet, no one has

ever has a peanut allergy attack on these flights.  Hummmmm.