Honored Contributor

Re: If you or a loved one is diabetic...

@RetRN wrote:

Don't get it. I'm concerned about those who can not get their diabetic meds due to others abusing them by getting their doctors to prescribe them for weight loss, they should be ashamed.

That's exactly how I feel and if I said here what I said to my husband yesterday I'd be banned for life.

He is a diabetic, however he doesn't use any of those add-on drugs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

A true shame that it's only for people with Medicare

@Greeneyedlady21 

Why do you say that?  

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Manufacturers coupons can be used for two years when a patient is on private insurance. Also Walmart has a program for cheap insulin if someone is desperate. It isn't great but it can tide a person over. Relion makes less expensive glucose testing strips..cheaper for me than using insurance @Greeneyedlady21 . Also there are some programs out there from insulin manufacturers for lower costs. A patient needs to apply for them. But I agree with you. It should be $35 for everyone!!

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Don't get it. I'm concerned about those who can not get their diabetic meds due to others abusing them by getting their doctors to prescribe them for weight loss, they should be ashamed.

Agreed but there are a myriad of meds in the marketplace for Type 2 diabetes. The drugs for weight loss have a questionable profile anyway and can cause pancreatitis. I know someone who was vomiting daily from them. She said they were no different to her than bulimia. She had pancreatitis after six months of use. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

That's exactly how I feel and if I said here what I said to my husband yesterday I'd be banned for life.

He is a diabetic, however he doesn't use any of those add-on drugs.

@CelticCrafter It's a cruel and selfish thing people are doing. My 70 year old friend from work called. She was near tears saying a drug she needs (starts with letter T) for diabetes is not available because people are getting it for an unauthorized use (weight loss). It almost sounds like a crazy urban legend, but I heard about it firsthand!

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  Glad to hear you are able to save money. It's been nearly a month and I haven't heard or read anything about people benefiting from the cap.

I don't know any thing about people using insulin in an unauthorized way. Is there a shortage of insulin because of it?

Honored Contributor

It's Ozempic that people are using for weight loss
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 

Why do you say that?  

hckynut 🇺🇸

Because I know what it costs pharma to make insulin and the profit they make off of it. It's disgraceful that some diabetics are rationing insulin or dying because they can't afford it.

It should be capped at a certain price for everyone who needs it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ozempic has been approved by the FDA for weight loss, in non-diabetic patients.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
It's Ozempic that people are using for weight loss

Has the use of Ozempic for weight loss caused a shortage for people who need it for diabetes?