Super Contributor

Re: If you lost a relative to tragedy, could you turn that tragedy into your career?

I admire those who can take a horrific tragedy and do something rewarding with their lives to honor the memory of their murdered loved ones. Some people would just lay down and die, but that only rewards the killer, because not only did he take the life of your loved one but he stole yours too.

Respected Contributor

Re: If you lost a relative to tragedy, could you turn that tragedy into your career?

I don't think I could but who would be a better advocate than someone who has had their life affected by a tragedy like these people have?

Respected Contributor

Many have, we just don't hear about them on television. They work locally or at the state level, their voices are heard. Some have tried, and failed, such as the Sandy Hook relatives. Then there is MADD.

There are those who work tirelessly with support groups, speaking engagements. Their efforts make a difference too.

The parents of one soldier who committed suicide achieved national coverage but sadly the bill bearing their son's name wasn't passed. They tried.

Honored Contributor

People who decide to become medical professionals do it all the time.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I have what it takes to do so. However, I admire those who do and can.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Many people do make a lifetime of repeated effort to make the loss matter even though it may not be in the form of ""career"". Relay for Life is one example.

Honored Contributor

I would never want to find out.
Respected Contributor

I don't know about "career" but depending on the circumstances I would certainly be out there trying to educate and make people aware, and try and prevent it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/8/2015 deepwaterdotter said:
On 1/7/2015 Snowpuppy said:

Yes, I lost someone and no I didn't turn it into a career on television.

My mother-in-law was murdered in an armed robbery. I just wish the current laws concerning gun sales were strictly enforced.

If not a handgun there would be something else in it's place.

My loved one was a homicide victim, no gun involved. A random act of wrong place, wrong time.

Honored Contributor

I admire these people, but feel you never know what you will do until you experience a loss like this.