Honored Contributor

Re: If you lived in another country, would you move here?

@Shorty2U

I taught teenagers for 30+ years, raised our son and helped raise 2 nephews.  I've also traveled extensively in Europe and spent a good deal of time in Scotland.  It sounds like this young man is a lovesick teenager, more than likely living in an industrial city or a small town.  The  row houses are indicative of homes built near a factory or some type of industry. (not unlike the row homes you find all over the Northeast that were built around foundries, steel mills, coal mines, etc) Even with an education, it is difficult to get out of that environment when there are no jobs available. He came to the US and was more than likely treated royally and shown the sites.  It is true that in the US our homes are larger, and filled with stuff.  It could be extremely enticing particularly when there is girlfriend.

What he decides to do is between the young man and his family.  If your granddaughter has college in her future, I'd get her enrolled ASAP.  The longer she waits the more difficult it may be for her to become a student again.

Honored Contributor

No. I could certainly see how someone that age could romanticize it though. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I've never lived abroad, but my neighbor grew up in Ireland, and still has family there. Their medical treatment might be free, but unless you have an urgent emergency, you are put on a waiting list  and it can take forever to get , the  quality of treatment we have.

She said people are going private ,for  their health care, even if it means paying for it twice

She loved the  country she grew up in, but  wouldn't want to live there now

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When I married my first husband I knew his job meant that we would travel all over the world together and be gone for months at a time. We did that , never regretted the time we spent away from the USA as long as we were together. When he died , I was happy that I had not tried to tie him down but had allowed him to have the life he loved. BTW - I personally have lived all iover the world , but never found anywere I loved as I loved being in the USA.

@151949You speak so fondly of your former husband and it's easy to tell you were madly in love with him.

I know you're remarried and to a HS sweetheart and I'm sure you're aware of how rare it is to find true love twice in your lifetime. 

You have been blessed for sure.

Believe me , I am well aware of how blessed my life has been. I grew up with an abundance of love from parents, grandparents and many aunts & uncles. I had a "steady" boyfriend all thru High school , which really made high school a wonderful time for me. I know not everyone had the good fortune  to really enjoy high school. Married a man I adored and saw the world with him and his children, I often think of us when I watch episodes of House Hunters international. That was us! If I could say one memory of us then it would be all of us lugging suitcases thru an airport, or going thru customs. And when it was the right time for us , after Pete died & I mourned the loss of him & the loss of the only lifestyle I had ever known as an adult, I had a man who had cared for me for so long there willing to help me get back on my feet. Yes, I have been very blessed.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I've never lived abroad, but my neighbor grew up in Ireland, and still has family there. Their medical treatment might be free, but unless you have an urgent emergency, you are put on a waiting list  and it can take forever to get , the  quality of treatment we have.

She said people are going private ,for  their health care, even if it means paying for it twice

She loved the  country she grew up in, but  wouldn't want to live there now

I have several neighbors here in Florida who are Canadians and thety would never coinsider moving to the USA permanently because they would not want to give up their healthcare.

Honored Contributor

Be very cautious of Mexico.... it's a gorgeous country but things are a lot different there.  Just take the time to really learn how the laws operate. People are assumed guilty until proven innocent, the opposite of the U.S. Owning land is complicated and I remember some retired folks on the news "buying" their land down there (years ago) and building their homes.... and then discovering that the land was not in some kind of a trust and therefore they owned the house they built but not the land itself.  All those people had to get off the property and vacate their homes because the actual owner wanted to develop the land for something else.... I remember it on the news for a long time but the end result was that the Americans had no legal course.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Well, I probably wouldn't move here. 

When I was younger, I lived, worked and studied in several European countries.

I have to say that during those times I was very happy and probably would have stayed there if things had turned out that way. 

Even though I had relatives there, my immediate family was here in the US, as well as the graduate school that I wanted to attend, so I returned and stayed.

It's like everything else...there are pros and cons to every situation. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When I married my first husband I knew his job meant that we would travel all over the world together and be gone for months at a time. We did that , never regretted the time we spent away from the USA as long as we were together. When he died , I was happy that I had not tried to tie him down but had allowed him to have the life he loved. BTW - I personally have lived all iover the world , but never found anywere I loved as I loved being in the USA.

@151949You speak so fondly of your former husband and it's easy to tell you were madly in love with him.

I know you're remarried and to a HS sweetheart and I'm sure you're aware of how rare it is to find true love twice in your lifetime. 

You have been blessed for sure.

Believe me , I am well aware of how blessed my life has been. I grew up with an abundance of love from parents, grandparents and many aunts & uncles. I had a "steady" boyfriend all thru High school , which really made high school a wonderful time for me. I know not everyone had the good fortune  to really enjoy high school. Married a man I adored and saw the world with him and his children, I often think of us when I watch episodes of House Hunters international. That was us! If I could say one memory of us then it would be all of us lugging suitcases thru an airport, or going thru customs. And when it was the right time for us , after Pete died & I mourned the loss of him & the loss of the only lifestyle I had ever known as an adult, I had a man who had cared for me for so long there willing to help me get back on my feet. Yes, I have been very blessed.

@151949, I have always wanted to ask you something but I always forget. Please, if you don't want to answer, no problem. From what it sounds like your 1st husband had custody of his kids? Is that incorrect? Also, do you still see your stepchildren and have a relationship with them? That must have been very difficult for you and your stepchildren especially how he was taken from you. You have been through quite a bit in your life.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the political reference.

Trusted Contributor

10 years ago I would've said yes, not anymore. I miss living in the free world, now our government wants to control everything, I don't know where I want to live, but USA is slowly losing me.