Honored Contributor

Re: If you live in a rural area, mail

Just this morning I found my Food Network Magazine flung out on the front lawn in the pouring rain by some company that also delivers newspapers. 

The notice that was included stated it "was more convenient to have it delivered to the DOORSTEP" rather than having to walk to the mailbox.

UH HELLO, the mailbox is attached to the front of the house to the left of the frond door.  How is me walking out in the pouring rain more convenient than sticking my hand out the door.

Well, I complained to this DoorFrontDirect and I am being switched back to USPS service. 

If I was able to find out who to complain to at Food Network I would do that also but I've searched the website and can't find any way to contact them for that.

Honored Contributor

I can't even imagine the USA without the post office.  Politicians have been trying to privatize it for years and now it looks like it could happen.

Honored Contributor

I'm so tired of certain entities making my life more expensive.  It's unfair and a really bad idea that will come back to bite them.  Keep making more stressed out poor people.  It's what revolutionary societal change is all about and rarely goes well for the 'let them eat cake' crowd.  

Honored Contributor

Buy stamps. Online. It's like giving the USPS a mini loan. Buy stamps now and then use them later. Can also buy those flat rate boxes to use at Christmastime.

Just google USPS and Forever Stamps. Lots of us are buying stamps because we support the Postal Service.

They have lots of cool designs so you can pick a design that says something about you and what you support.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

While I would be concerned about all the employees of the USPS, I also worry about the large number of veterans employed by USPS. 

The postal service has long been an employer that placed emphasis on giving our veterans a job after they come out of the service.  They also employ a number of veterans with disabilities.

They should receive assistance since they are still operating during the shut downs and they are a business that employs many veterans.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Looks like everyone is doing that.  They are warning people they have such a high volume of orders that it's gonna take a few extra days to deliver.  

@pitdakota Just wanted to tell you my BIL knew all about the protective boxes for ventilation.  Good news his hospital icu is only a third filled with covid patients and our county is number three on the infection list.  They are holding their own so far.  Hope your place is doing well too.

Respected Contributor

O/T   @Laura14 , good to know they are aware of the boxes.  Geez, in these days that is how they have to disseminate news.  There are lots of apps out there where docs and nurses in the hot spots are disseminating information, and using other forms of social media.

We are holding our own right now.  Cases increasing in the state, but not to the point any of the big hospital systems here are at the point of being overwhelmed yet.  Major problem continues to be access to PPE.  

Glad to hear you are doing ok.  Hang in there.

And now back to regular programming and the post office.................

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Pure speculation that is un-needed at this time.  As if people dont have enough crummy news.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

This is all about  Amazon.  I can't explain without getting taken down.  

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I've always wondered why home mail delivery  is free but if you have a post office box, you pay for that, I think my sister pays about $100.00 a year because she has a P.O box and not home delivery. I realize there is the cost of the building, but there is also cost of the mail carrier's vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me.

@catter70 It's volume.  The mail boxes occupy expensive space.  So there aren't many of them. Carrier service used to be free, then someone got the bright to privatize it and it's been in a mess ever since.

If anything the government should provide for and supplement to me it's mail.  Everybody should have a right to mail.  A phone?  Maybe not.  So that's where I think some money should go, but I am in a minority I guess.