Honored Contributor

If you live in a Lake Charles evacuation zone GET OUT NOW

[ Edited ]

STORM IS COMING IN AND BARRIER ISLANDS AND COASTAL AREAS WILL HAVE A 20 FOOT STORM SURGE. GET OUT NOW. THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. DRIVE TO A SHELTER IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE OR DRIVE AWAY FROM THE COAST TO A MOTEL OR FAMILY OR FRIENDS. GO NOW. PLEASE DO NOT STAY. THE STORM WILL BE HITTING AS A CAT 4 AND THERE IS GOING TO BE NO SURVIVABILITY ON ANY OF THE AFFECTED BARRIER ISLANDS. LET RELATIVES KNOW WHERE YOU WILL BE. GO NOW.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you live in a Lake Charles evacuation zone GET OUT NOW

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D I have friends in that area and they have been getting warned for days. They all know to do this and I HIGHLY doubt they're reading QVC forums! My friends got out days ago and are safe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Mindy D I have friends in that area and they have been getting warned for days. They all know to do this and I HIGHLY doubt they're reading QVC forums! My friends got out days ago and are safe.

@Love my grandkids @For every storm, no matter how dangerous, there are diehards that insist on staying behind, many times because of their pets. There are also those that stop listening to the reports after awhile and miss crucial information of changes. Some of these changes can occur so rapidly that you can go to bed with the storm a storm a Cat 1 or 2, and wake up finding your little storm came ashore as a Cat 5. That's what Hurricane Andrew did. It strengthened while we were sleeping. I read on the boards that some were not evacuating. I posted for them. I found out, after this post, that they aren't in evacuation zones and they are safe. I didn't know before finding this out, or if they had heard the National Weather Service's latest release in which they describe the predicted storm surge as "Unsurvivable." I'm relieved they are in a safe place. I've been through every category of hurricane, including a Category 5! You wouldn't believe the reasons people give for refusing to evacuate. Some do not know that there are pet friendly hotels in places out of the path of the storm and in many places there are pet friendly shelters. Some stay in mobile homes. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hate it for these people. I hope they will get out, there are always those who don't though. I can't imagine how that would be- we have 3 cats and 2 bigger type dogs. No way I'd be leaving them. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, and bye the way, I myself have logged into the boards before storms were coming. There were plenty of us on the Forum last year.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Love my grandkids @For every storm, no matter how dangerous, there are diehards that insist on staying behind, many times because of their pets. There are also those that stop listening to the reports after awhile and miss crucial information of changes. Some of these changes can occur so rapidly that you can go to bed with the storm a storm a Cat 1 or 2, and wake up finding your little storm came ashore as a Cat 5. That's what Hurricane Andrew did. It strengthened while we were sleeping. I read on the boards that some were not evacuating. I posted for them. I found out, after this post, that they aren't in evacuation zones and they are safe. I didn't know before finding this out, or if they had heard the National Weather Service's latest release in which they describe the predicted storm surge as "Unsurvivable." I'm relieved they are in a safe place. I've been through every category of hurricane, including a Category 5! You wouldn't believe the reasons people give for refusing to evacuate. Some do not know that there are pet friendly hotels in places out of the path of the storm and in many places there are pet friendly shelters. Some stay in mobile homes. 

Think anyone in these areas would check local news for the latest information rather than a shopping Channel message board.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Well, they always interview people prior to these things, who are staying, who are determined to ride it out. After Katrina and others, I can't imagine saying I was going to "ride it out".No way in heck I'd be riding it out. They're liable to end up "riding it out" right out into the ocean. No thanks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

I hate it for these people. I hope they will get out, there are always those who don't though. I can't imagine how that would be- we have 3 cats and 2 bigger type dogs. No way I'd be leaving them. 

@happycat @In S. Florida we have plenty of pet friendly shelters open for every storm. For those near Lake Charkes, up I just checked and there are many pet friendly hotels in Alabama, out of the storm's path. The worst was two years ago where we were looking at a storm so large in size that it was going to encompass the entire state of Florida and it was a Cat 5. It had changed paths and was forecasted to be making a beeline through and up the middle of Florida with winds extending completely across  the state. It made this change too rapidly for us to get out. I don't live in an evacuation zone for storms that come ashore on the coastline. I'm 30 miles inland, but this particular storm posed an unusual threat. None, (all my neighbors, people living in my area), of us knew what to do. We were terrified. It was a nowhere to run, nowhere to hide scenario.I booked a rental car to get out and we were ready to go, but when I went back to the website, I couldn't get any car. They weren't renting. Few or no shelters can withstand a direct hit from a category 5. The whole state was trying to evacuate but we thought we might have enough time to make it to Orlando as far as the drive time we had before the storm were to make landfall,  and we hoped that as the eye were passing over the land area between S. Florida and Orlando it might weaken. We were very fortunate because the storm took a turn and did not come up and through the midline of Florida. It went west and was headed for St. Petersburg and Clearwater Beach area. The storm was moving very fast. My poor friend in Clearwater lives at the beach. She had to go to a shelter because no hotels were open near enough to get to in time. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@happycat   Do they expect people to just leave their pets?  I would not! I would stay with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat @In S. Florida we have plenty of pet friendly shelters open for every storm. For those near Lake Charkes, up I just checked and there are many pet friendly hotels in Alabama, out of the storm's path. The worst was two years ago where we were looking at a storm so large in size that it was going to encompass the entire state of Florida and it was a Cat 5. It had changed paths to be making a beeline through and up the middle of Florida with winds extending completely across  the state. It made this change too rapidly for us to get out. I don't live in an evacuation zone for storms that come ashore on the coastline. I'm 30 miles inland, but this particular storm posed an unusual threat. None, all my neighbors, people living in my area, of us knew what to do. We were terrified. It was a nowhere to run, nowhere to hide scenario.I booked a rental car to get out but when I went back to the website, I couldn't get any car. They weren't renting. Few or no shelters can withstand a direct hit from a category 5. The whole state was trying to evacuate but we thought we might make it to Orlando as far as the drive time we had before the storm were to make landfall,  and hope that as the eye were passing over the land area between S. Florida and Orlando it might weaken. We were very fortunate because the storm took a turn and did not come up and through the midline of a Florida. It went west and was headed for St. Petersburg and Clearwater Beach area. The storm was moving very fast. My poor friend in Clearwater lives at the beach. She had to go to a shelter because no hotels were open near enough to get to in time.  

I'm glad to hear a lot of the shelters there allow pets.

Where I am in Arkansas I saw yesterday one forecast model said we could get up to 6 inches of rain, but today it looked like that amount has been lowered.  

Can't imagine being in the scenario you just described with that cat 5.  I would imagine some folks have ptsd after that, it would be truly horrifying to be stuck like that with a hurricane barreling towards you.