Honored Contributor

Re: If you live in a Lake Charles evacuation zone GET OUT NOW

Part of the responsibility of having pets is having a plan to take them to safety in case of any emergency. Not staying with them in a dangerous situation. Getting all of you to safety together.

I have a plan for a tornado, fire, or flooding. Cat carriers in the closet where I can grab them. Why on Earth would anyone not do that?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I have no issue with Mindy's post. Could alert extended family that have not been following the storm. The storm surge has the potential to be catastrophic, they are saying in some areas it could be unsurvivable. I pray everyone gets out.  

Esteemed Contributor

A lot more places are allowing pets, so staying behind because of them is quickly becoming an invalid excuse.

I have three cats, and I don't care if I had to sleep in my car, if a Cat 4 hurricane, or out of control firestorm was heading my way, and the authorities told me to GTFO now, believe me, I would GTFO.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

A lot more places are allowing pets, so staying behind because of them is quickly becoming an invalid excuse.

I have three cats, and I don't care if I had to sleep in my car, if a Cat 4 hurricane, or out of control firestorm was heading my way, and the authorities told me to GTFO now, believe me, I would GTFO.

As a last resort in an emergency you can put a cat in a pillowcase. They won't like it (understatement), but it's better than leaving them behind!

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Part of the responsibility of having pets is having a plan to take them to safety in case of any emergency. Not staying with them in a dangerous situation. Getting all of you to safety together.

I have a plan for a tornado, fire, or flooding. Cat carriers in the closet where I can grab them. Why on Earth would anyone not do that?

@Porcelain 

I agree. I live in hurricane country (SE Coastal GA) and many times we've had to evacuate with our pets and never had a problem finding a hotel/motel that allowed them.

Even hotels/motels that are NOT usually pet friendly will allow pets in an emergency evacuation situation and didn't even charge us any additional fees for cleaning/pets.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Occasional Contributor

I survived Katrina in 2005.  We did evacuate, we went east and should ave gone west.  Lost our home and all of our possessions, but we did not lose our lives.                                       PLEASE EVACUATE AND MAY G0D BLESS EVERYONE.

Honored Contributor

Beaumont Texas is under an evacuation order too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Evacuees were lined up last night in San Antonio.  Preps had been underway for 2 days.  The total was to accommodate 2000 but they will find a way to take in more.

Austin had to shut down taking anymore in because of COVID-19.

I haven't heard anymore if they have found a way to allow more in.

Hoping everyone can find shelter. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SAPA (San Antonio Pets Alive) travelled to Beaumont's animal shelter and brought back 12 dogs and cats to SA.  These sweeties will be taken care of with any needs and kept for placement in forever homes.

People think of personal pets but there are animal shelters needing evacuation, too.

I would link for donations but I'm sure it will poof.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D @  "In S. Florida we have plenty of pet friendly shelters open for every storm. For those near Lake Charkes, up I just checked and there are many pet friendly hotels in Alabama, out of the storm's path. The worst was two years ago where we were looking at a storm so large in size that it was going to encompass the entire state of Florida and it was a Cat 5. It had changed paths to be making a beeline through and up the middle of Florida with winds extending completely across  the state. It made this change too rapidly for us to get out. I don't live in an evacuation zone for storms that come ashore on the coastline. I'm 30 miles inland, but this particular storm posed an unusual threat. None, all my neighbors, people living in my area, of us knew what to do. We were terrified. It was a nowhere to run, nowhere to hide scenario.I booked a rental car to get out but when I went back to the website, I couldn't get any car. They weren't renting. Few or no shelters can withstand a direct hit from a category 5. The whole state was trying to evacuate but we thought we might make it to Orlando as far as the drive time we had before the storm were to make landfall,  and hope that as the eye were passing over the land area between S. Florida and Orlando it might weaken. We were very fortunate because the storm took a turn and did not come up and through the midline of a Florida. It went west and was headed for St. Petersburg and Clearwater Beach area. The storm was moving very fast. My poor friend in Clearwater lives at the beach. She had to go to a shelter because no hotels were open near enough to get to in time."

Which storm was that?  Year?