Respected Contributor

Re: If you live in NY will you be taking in any shows (on Broadway) or elsewhere this season?

@Kachina624  Nope, not this time. Maybe I will change my mind in the future. I am also a firm believer that everyone should do what makes them comfortable.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you live in NY will you be taking in any shows (on Broadway) or elsewhere this season?

Before covid I saw the traveling companies of Hamilton (which I loved) and a few other shows. 

I've been back to the ballet, they offered me half price second row tickets. Would love to see a play or a musical again if I could get that kind of deal.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I went to see the Musical Grease in NYC years ago, maybe 10 years or so.  Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in the production.  If I had another reason to be in NYC, I would go to a show.  But I will not make a special trip there just to see a show, as it does not seem like a safe place to be anymore. 

We have three community theaters very close to us.  They all put on very good productions.  However, the tickets are a bit pricey, so we don't go too often.

@Puppy LipsNYC is still a Tourist Mecca.  Broadway is just as safe now as it has ever been.  In terms of Covid restrictions, I believe they have loosened them and many people from all over the world descend on Broadway and other parts of NYC as tourists.  Your statement about "safety" is inaccurate.

@gertrudecloset Well I have heard a lot of reports, and seen video, of an increase in crime - thefts, murders, assults on the streets in broad daylight.  No broadway show is worth the risks I have heard about.  Maybe they are exaggerated, but I would prefer to stay away from NYC.

@Puppy LipsNo doubt.  However, Broadway is as safe as it has always been.  There is much more of a police presence in various parts of Manhattan (Tourism dollars is real) than any other place within the City of New York which has five separate and distinct towns.  I'm not saying walk around like nothing could or would happen to you.  Just remember that the news reports things that think it will be of interest to the masses.  Is there some crime, of course!  However, it's not nearly as much as what you hear talking heads discuss.  I'm speaking to the Tourist areas which Broadway is one and also it employs thousands of people in this area.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset @Go to nytix.com read the article NYC street crime Is having an effect on Broadway ticket sales. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently saw Leopoldstadt and Some Like it Hot on Broadway. both were ok but not spectacular. It was the last time I'll be in Manhatten until after the holidays and New Year. Too many tourists LOL! There are a whole slew of new shows as many closed during the summer and fall.

@gertrudecloset is quite right in her assessment of the safety of the theatre district and the police presence there. NY is a large city with 5 seperate boroughts with inumerable distinct neighborhoods within each one. According to Forbes, NYC is the 11th safest city in the USA. But people will believe whatever fits their narrative. Crime occurs everywhere and it behooves all of us to be aware of our surroundings and not make ourselves a target, regardless of where we are.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

No, not at least until the spring.  We are getting daily advisements on the news and by public health officials to mask up now indoors as well as in crowded outdoor places.  The tripledemic is rampant here, and will undoubtedly get worse after people gather for the holidays.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Janey2 wrote:

gertrudecloset @Go to nytix.com read the article NYC street crime Is having an effect on Broadway ticket sales. 

@Janey2  It's a good article. Thanks for posting.

nytix: NYC Street Crime Is Having An Effect on Broadway Ticket Sale

Posted on November 23, 2022

Rampant New York City Street Crime And Unfavorable Exchange Rates Continue to Keep Visitors Away From NYC, Resulting In Lower Broadway Ticket Sales, With No Respite On The Horizon

With NYC crime out of control, it's easy to see why Broadway numbers are in the toilet, but other factors such as the recession and poor exchange rates for international travelers also have an effect on the Broadway ticket sales numbers.

Ask anyone in NYC what the biggest problem right now is and they will say the out-of-control and random crime that occurs every day on every NYC street..

https://www.nytix.com/news/nyc-street-crime-is-having-an-effect-on-broadway-ticket-sales

Honored Contributor

So this thread about Broadway shows is being turned into another one about crime because the others were poofed?
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

A Broadway play is not worth the crime wave. I see the videos. My choice. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
Janey2 wrote:

gertrudecloset @Go to nytix.com read the article NYC street crime Is having an effect on Broadway ticket sales. 

@Janey2  It's a good article. Thanks for posting.

nytix: NYC Street Crime Is Having An Effect on Broadway Ticket Sale

Posted on November 23, 2022

Rampant New York City Street Crime And Unfavorable Exchange Rates Continue to Keep Visitors Away From NYC, Resulting In Lower Broadway Ticket Sales, With No Respite On The Horizon

With NYC crime out of control, it's easy to see why Broadway numbers are in the toilet, but other factors such as the recession and poor exchange rates for international travelers also have an effect on the Broadway ticket sales numbers.

Ask anyone in NYC what the biggest problem right now is and they will say the out-of-control and random crime that occurs every day on every NYC street..

https://www.nytix.com/news/nyc-street-crime-is-having-an-effect-on-broadway-ticket-sales

We could go back and forth with contradicting reports.....

@MorningLover 

If you watch the news, New York would seem to be deep in an epidemic of violent crime. The stories are frightening, and the mayor has reacted, dispatching police officers on to subway platforms.

The Economist, not a publication known for hyperbole, wrote: "New York is experiencing a grim increase in violence."

"Rampant New York City Street Crime And Unfavorable Exchange Rates Continue to Keep Visitors Away From NYC, Resulting In Lower Broadway Ticket Sales, With No Respite On The Horizon” wrote nytix. And Crains New York wrote: “International business travel's slow return dampens hotel revenue.”

Even the election of a Democratic governor was for a moment in jeopardy, as an almost unknown Republican candidate arrived with a late crime campaign.

But the question that must be asked here is an important one. Are tourists and locals afraid of crime, or are they afraid of the amped-up media reporting of a “crime wave” that almost all reasonable journalists agree doesn’t exist? 

"Fear of Rampant Crime Is Derailing New York City’s Recovery” was a Bloomberg headline on July 29. A powerful headline, but below it, was this qualifier: "Widespread anxiety obscures the fact that crime is still at decades-long lows.”

Wait, what? Decades low? As the report continues: "Pull back further to New York of the 1980s and early 1990s, and the murder rate was five times higher than today with an average of six killings a day…People’s views on guns and crime are often more influenced by what they see and hear, rather than by hard numbers.”

So, we’re fearful. And yet, if you look at the size of New York, and compare its crime rates to smaller suburban, even rural crime rates - we are, per capita ---SAFER.

So when a college friend of mine messaged me on Facebook, asking if she should bring her college-age son to NYC for the holidays, I was for a moment stumped. New York feels to me as it always has, a big city with lots going on, and some danger. But the recordings of crimes, in particular on the subway, played on a loop on the news and social media certainly leaves one trepidatious.

So if you’re looking to stay safe, here are the top 10 cities to steer clear of, according to Safewise:

1. Memphis, TN-MS-AR

2. Anchorage, AK

3. Albuquerque, NM

4. Lubbock, TX

5.  Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR

6.  Shreveport-Bossier City, LA

7.  Bakersfield, CA

8.  Salt Lake City, UT

9.  Springfield, MO

10. Corpus Cristi, TX

Safewise.com started with per capita crime rates for each MSA (metropolitan statistical areas), based on FBI crime and population data. "This data isn't perfect—it's self-reported by law enforcement agencies yearly—but it's the most comprehensive US crime data available” they wrote.

The point is, you rarely see reports of violent crime out of Lubbock, or Bakersfield or Anchorage. Is that because there are fewer cameras in these places -- so less footage to fuel the story? Or is it just that NYC has a bit of a tough-guy image, and being dangerous and crime-ridden plays to a history of film and TV shows? Crime reports sell papers and glue viewers to the screen, even if the data says that NYC is in fact pretty dan safe.

I'd never ever be the first person to say there is no crime in New York City.  There IS and it has gone up some.  However,  everything with perspective.  Read, then read another side to the story or point of view.  NEW YORK CITY IS AS SAFE AS IT HAS EVER BEEN.

The NYPD patrols tourist areas better than they do any other sector of the City.  This includes prominent tourist spots like:

Radio City Music Hall (This time of the Year) near Broadway

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Broadway

Penn Station

Times Square

Lower Manhattan (World Trade Center/Memorial)

Museum Mile

Empire State Building

Of course, one has to do what is right for themselves.  I'm giving you the perspective as someone who lives here.  I'm not on the outside looking in.  In all things, to each your own.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life