Respected Contributor

Re: If you know a teacher....

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Melania wrote:

By now you should be used to it. After all it happens every year.

No, Halloween doesn't fall on Monday every year.

And your a teacher? She was referring to the date. Maybe if this teaching gig is too much for you, you may want to do something that is less taxing like post on a shopping board all day..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

You might need to give them some extra TLC the first week in November.

Halloween is on a MONDAY this year.  

I think we should change it to Friday just to keep our sanity.

Yes and anyone who doesn't think sugar hypes kids up after they ingest large quantities of it, hasn't been around children very much.

There are always "studies" about how sugar doesn't affect children's behavior. However, just find out who is sponsoring those so called "studies" and you'll realize it is always some food manufacturer promoting their junk food. The sugar lobby is large.....

It hypes up adults, too.

I don't believe the "studies" poo pooing what we've known for years.

Respected Contributor

Hey Mellie, I have a classroom visit coming up.  I'll be sure to be extra nice to the teachers.  (I always am btw including buying a book for the class). 

Thanks for being a teacher, friend.  It ain't an easy job these days, I know. And I know you love it and wouldn't have it any other way. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

In my area Halloween is celebrated the Thursday before Oct 31 as far as Trick or Treating.

I don't understand why there are still people who believe that sugar makes kids hyper or changes their temperament.  There are many studies that have proved that this is not true.

I do know that chocolate makes me happy and there are studies to prove that chocolate is mood altering. 

Give jelly beans to a kindergarten on a rainy day and you'll find out pretty quick how the day will proceed.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

How long does a sugar rush last?  If they overdo on Monday afternoon, they'll be restless all night.  Bye Tuesday morning they should be exhausted and struggling to stay awake in class.

They won't be struggling to stay awake -- trust me.

And the kids will be bringing the candy into school for snacks, lunch, etc. Wired up for sound, even the teens.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

You might need to give them some extra TLC the first week in November.

Halloween is on a MONDAY this year.  

I think we should change it to Friday just to keep our sanity.

Yes and anyone who doesn't think sugar hypes kids up after they ingest large quantities of it, hasn't been around children very much.

There are always "studies" about how sugar doesn't affect children's behavior. However, just find out who is sponsoring those so called "studies" and you'll realize it is always some food manufacturer promoting their junk food. The sugar lobby is large.....

I am not around children at all these days but I agree with @Trinity11 and if anyone has seen even one episode of Toddlers and Tiaras will very soon realize the impact of sugar on children.

Respected Contributor

If anyone has any doubts as to the effect sugar has on children then I invite them to come to my house after more than usual amounts of sugar (Halloween, Christmas, birthdays, etc) have been ingested by mine.  You will come away a changed person.  Bring your own earplugs

Valued Contributor

Mellie, even though I haven't had to be in a kid's classroom for a long time, I always appreciated teachers.  Both my daughter and her husband are in education, although not in a classroom, and I know how hard they work.  If I ever have a chance to visit another classroom, I'll show my appreciation by bringing a huge batch of cupcakes.  It's the least I can do. 😉

Respected Contributor

The younger ones will be wired for days. Studies or no, all of the candy consumed in addition to dressing up for both the school day and trick or treating, parties, late night......Tuesday would find the majority of my kids bouncing off the walls. It might calm down sometime Thursday. 

Having Halloween closer to the weekend was always welcome. I was actually relieved when my district switched Spring break from the week before Easter to the week AFTER. That Monday was always difficult-

I can say with a smile and a safe distance from the classroom: Have an interesting week! Prepared/forewarned is best......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It might be a good idea to start class each day with a meditation exercise. No, I'm serious.  Meditation and yoga have been introduced in the schools at the grade school level. I've seen several news segments about it and the children interviewed seem to be getting benefit out of it, saying they feel calmer and more alert. You still have time to clear it with administration.