Honored Contributor

If you have been to a funeral service, how was the social distancing set up?

[ Edited ]

A service will be held for a friend of ours in a few days. Only sixteen people are allowed in at a time. It might be a viewing and not a service. We don't know. If you have attended anything, how was social distancing set up for the function you attended? 

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have been to a funeral service, how was the social distancing set up?

I went to a funeral 2 weeks ago. It was a mass, so it was in the church.

Every two pews were roped off so there was social distancing. And we all wore masks. There was no viewing. And no get together after the service. Her brother-in-law was a Priest so he lead the mass. The programs were self serve. You would take one out of the box. No one handed the program to you.

Sounds like your funeral might be in the funeral home. So that is why you have a limit of 16 people. And I bet you are right, it might be a viewing.

Respected Contributor

Re: If you have been to a funeral service, how was the social distancing set up?

[ Edited ]

We're having a service for my father-in-law next week here in CA.  It's required to be outdoors under a tent.  The limitation is 50 people, but we will only have his children and their families.  Everyone will wear masks and there will be social distancing between the families.  We were offered an indoor viewing, but only 2 people would be allowed to attend.

Super Contributor

I attended a (delayed since April) funeral mass 4 days ago. As other reviewer noted, every 2 pews roped off, everyone masked, no handing out of anything, there were only 30 people there in a large church so I was near no one. On a personal note, my father died suddenly in May and we have not held a service for him yet. Since he donated his body to science, we may end up waiting until his remains are returned in a year or so. Difficult times for loss and grief.

Valued Contributor

Most of the services I have participated in have been virtual.  Some on Facebook and others on Zoom.  There is usually a viewing where a small number of people can go through at a time.  The number of people who can actually attend the service is limited.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family has used Zoom for both a funeral and a milestone birthday.  Since people can't be physically close to hug each other anyhow, I think this is a very appropriate way during a pandemic to be with family and friends.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I was to a funeral mass.  The person died 4 months ago so initially services were held for family only and it was limited to 10 people.

Social distancing in the church wasn't a problem at all.  I chose not to go to the cemetery because I had a feeling there would be no social distancing and I was right according to other people who did attend.   

Esteemed Contributor

All mine have been placed on hold, even weddings.  Safer that way.

Trusted Contributor

I think you're referring to the wake in a funeral home and not a funeral service like a mass in a church.  I went to a wake last week.  Sad circumstances because the person was very, very young.  Anyway, there was a line wrapped around the building to get in.  Only four at a time were permitted in the funeral home.  By the time I got in, the room was crowded.  Difficult to really stay six feet apart.  Everyone except some of the immediate family wore masks.  People did sit together, but again, they wore masks.  I stayed longer than I should, but the family needed support.  I think we're all okay.  Our state has a very low infection rate.

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I think you're referring to the wake in a funeral home and not a funeral service like a mass in a church.  I went to a wake last week.  Sad circumstances because the person was very, very young.  Anyway, there was a line wrapped around the building to get in.  Only four at a time were permitted in the funeral home.  By the time I got in, the room was crowded.  Difficult to really stay six feet apart.  Everyone except some of the immediate family wore masks.  People did sit together, but again, they wore masks.  I stayed longer than I should, but the family needed support.  I think we're all okay.  Our state has a very low infection rate.

@Jaspersmom @I'm assuming that the people in line were not able to social distance. Am I correct?