Valued Contributor

If you have Showtime ONDEMAND I urge you to watch this docu.

3 DAYS IN SEPTEMBER

Back in, I believe, 2004 Chechen terrorists held a Russian school hostage for 3 days.  Over 1000 parents and children were held at gunpoint with bombs littered thruought the school.  Let's just say the Russian government was less than helpful.  The hostages were denied food and water, and they were reduced to drinking urine..

It took the Russin Government 3 days to mount a rescue with a horrific loss of life.

I had a profound reaction to it, especially after the horror of yesterday.

Trusted Contributor

Re: If you have Showtime ONDEMAND I urge you to watch this docu.

@Margo Channing wrote:

3 DAYS IN SEPTEMBER

Back in, I believe, 2004 Chechen terrorists held a Russian school hostage for 3 days.  Over 1000 parents and children were held at gunpoint with bombs littered thruought the school.  Let's just say the Russian government was less than helpful.  The hostages were denied food and water, and they were reduced to drinking urine..

It took the Russin Government 3 days to mount a rescue with a horrific loss of life.

I had a profound reaction to it, especially after the horror of yesterday.

No more than 5 mintues ago the local news was talking to  Doctors concerning the news coverage of this latest horror.  The Doctors recommend if you are sensitive to stop watching all of the coverage.  It is all over the place so you will need to make a concerted effort to guard yourself.  

Personally I can only handle so much coverage.  It is so depressing to think of how people can go out and indescriminately kill innocent people - just out living their lives not knowing what may be in the future.  

With the couple yesterday - their neighbors did say they thought they where acting strangely but did not want to report anything for fear of RACIAL PROFILING.  

Respected Contributor

@Margo Channing

hi margo,

i vaguely remember this.  it's good to know that it's on demand and i will probably watch it after all the emotion of what has happened dies down a bit.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well,no-one isFORCING you to watch it needaname!Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Since you've seen it, what did come away with from it? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Since you've seen it, what did come away with from it? 

Interesting question.

1. overwhelming sadness for the victims

2.  The thought that we are NEVER going to wipe out terrorism. The lone surviving terrorist told his captors he hopes his children take after him. 

3.  The Russian Government really didn't give a ****** about the situation and only intervened  when world-wide attention was paid. Putin is an unmitigted POS.and the ruling body not much better.

4.  The survivors will never be over it, seeing your loved one blown up will never become something you deal with and accept.

5.  By the time fthe documentary {2006} the town had been unable to move on.

I didn't hear about any post-traumatic coping skills being offered, the town seemed to have been stuck in a horror time trap.

As a witness said, "This was our 9/11"; the difference being more attention and care was given to the US that those victims. Everyone remembers 9/11. And our military reaction. I imagine only the survivors and {some} Russians mark the day of this traged

I freely admit I am no expert on Russia, terrorism or the crisis in Chechen.  Also I am more an emotional reacter about things like this than intellectual.  The visions will haunt me or a long, LONG time.

I could go on, but ultimately, I feel if we don't get a handle on terrorim we are all doomed.  Some people just live to hate.

I've  just ordered a couple of books from Amazon since I saw this, I want to learn more.