Honored Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:
I'd pick Florida. September highs are low to mid 80's--not too hot, and Florida doesn't have the humidity that many of us in the South encounter.

Florida is a peninsula - surrounded on three sides by water - so there's humidity 24/7/365.   Smiley Wink

I've been fortunate to have visited there myself (during the winter, TG), plus know others who have and/or actually live there year-round (God bless 'em!).

They've all mentioned the humidity during every season, but especially in the summer when there's times you can barely breathe.

My personal humidity tolerance is under 40% (healthwise), except in the wintertime, so...  LOL

Most of September is still  a part of summer, though.

That's why autumn is warmer than spring, as it happens right after the warm and hot temps of summertime.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

Boston. the weather can be hot hazy humid or downpouring rain, or nice and dry, but the mantra is "If You Don't  Like the Weather, Wait a Minute"

Boston has come a long way since the old days when the happening spots were Lucifer's , Bunratty's and Avalon . Now we have The Improper Bostonian to guide you:

online its just   improper.com  restaurants, events and more

I went to school in northwestern MA, and re: the weather?  "Wait A Minute and It'll Change" was the motto for all  of New England.

It's actually very true. 

Valued Contributor

To quote the late great Tim Russert, "Florida, Florida, Florida!"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Years ago I went on a parents' weekend to Boston to visit our college freshman.  It wasn't September, but the end of October.  We did, however, rent a car, drove to the Cape, spent one night there, the next day took a ferry to Nantucket, took a bus tour (way more fun than you might imagine), and came back to Boston the next day where we went to Walden's pond and did some other things.  We didn't do any "city" stuff.

It depends on your interests, I think, but overall if it were me I'd go to Boston.  Unless I were determined to enjoy a beach weekend, then I'd go to Florida.    If you're dressed in beach clothes, the humidity might not be so awful.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

Boston. the weather can be hot hazy humid or downpouring rain, or nice and dry, but the mantra is "If You Don't  Like the Weather, Wait a Minute"

I just want to throw in that that mantra in the mid 80's in ND said the same thing.  Then Montana, and Minnesota said it. As we traveled, we heard this mantra for many states. It became funny to me, that a lot of the states adopted the mantra and yet, all were different locations. So, I surmise, go anywhere and if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute. LOL

Respected Contributor

Ladies (and gents, too) you are the best. I read all of your recommendations thoroughly
and will book Boston. I thank you kindly. Will go to Florida when it is cooler.
Respected Contributor

Ft. Lauderdale

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@CaitlinH wrote:

Well I may be bias because I live there but.. Boston. Cat Happy

Forget about the Vineyard or Nantucket, you don't have enough time to get there. Not to mention getting a car over there is expensive and usually books out months in advance, plus renting a vehicle on the islands is an utter rip off.

You can stay in Boston happily and find many gems. Lots of touristy areas all in the same 5 mile radius (Fenway, the Seaport, Faneuil Hall, etc). However for nicer beaches I'd take a trip out to the Cape. Plymouth, with no traffic, is only a 45min-1hr drive. The trip from Boston to Plymouth also offers many beautiful south shore beaches, that I myself grew up on (the towns of Marshfield and Duxbury have the best beaches). So you can easily plan a day to one of these areas without wasting your vacation traveling, or spending too much $.

I feel very lucky to have grown up in this area. September is a great time to travel to this area. Not too hot, not too cold and the foliage is just starting to change over. Smiley Happy

Excellent points and advice; ITA.

Plus, your dog avatar is so  sweet and cute. 8)

Actually we are thinking of flying out from Boston to Nantucket. I know it will be expensive but we will have 4 nights there. We did get the Boston tickets and they were almost free..we had to pay taxes.

Any suggestions on where to stay in Nantucket? I know Cape Air Flies from Boston to Nantucket.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I love these boards!!

Respected Contributor

We got the tickets to Boston (only had to pay taxes) and are now considering flying Cape Air to Nantucket. We would have 4 nights there. I see it is expensive but would like to do it.

Where would you suggest staying and can we do it with out renting a car.

Many thanks...you board members are the best, a wealth of experience and information.

Respected Contributor

We decided to fly on to Nantucket and were able to get a room at the Pineapple Inn in downtown Nantucket. Most places were already booked so I hope it is ok.

Any suggestions on restaurants or things to do/see on Nantucket?

Thank you for your help.