Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

Boston hands down for sure.  Our DS moved there 18 years ago right out of college & just loves it as does his dear wife.  DH & I have been there 15 times in May/June for 3 weeks & the last two years in late  August/Sept for three weeks.  So much to see & do & wonderful beaches.  Freedom Trail, museums, aquarium that is awesome.  Trolley tours, historical tours, Boston Harbor cruise.  Ride the Ducks.  Just enjoy yourself & do as much as you can in three days.  Great seafood & so much fun to go downtown to eat at Quincy Market.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

boston for me......so much to see and do!......even if you have seen it before.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Boston, hands down. I don't find anything appealing about Florida.

Honored Contributor

Looks like my birthplace wins!  Ha!

I haven't been there in years and would like to go to visit lots of cousins who come down here all the time.

Quick--go before the snow starts.  I just read the last of it melted yesterday!  Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

I love FL any time but I'd choose Boston and hit FL in the winter, preferably Miami or the Keys.
Super Contributor

Boston for sure. Take a little drive up north and catch the beautiful autumn colors.

Valued Contributor

I have visisted Florida every year but never in September.  Sorry, I can't be of any help but at least you are getting away.  Man Very Happy   

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

One point someone here from Boston could respond for you is the fact that people that live their do not go in the water even when they live on it except for a few weeks a year.

I have been told by my friends that their water does not warm up to 80 degrees like it does in the south.   They have told me the water is freezing most of the year.  Just hear say so it would be great to hear from people that live there.

Just a consideration if you like to paddle board, or do any water sports.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

In September, I'd choose Boston. In cooler months, I'd choose Florida, but maybe not Ft. Lauderdale. I'd go to the Keys. Smiley Happy

Especially Key West, home to a huge number of adorable polydactyl

cats, heh.

Extra 'fingers' and toes, with paws that look like mittens.  8)

Most - if not all -  are descendants of Hemingway's kitty companion.  

Honored Contributor

@CaitlinH wrote:

Well I may be bias because I live there but.. Boston. Cat Happy

Forget about the Vineyard or Nantucket, you don't have enough time to get there. Not to mention getting a car over there is expensive and usually books out months in advance, plus renting a vehicle on the islands is an utter rip off.

You can stay in Boston happily and find many gems. Lots of touristy areas all in the same 5 mile radius (Fenway, the Seaport, Faneuil Hall, etc). However for nicer beaches I'd take a trip out to the Cape. Plymouth, with no traffic, is only a 45min-1hr drive. The trip from Boston to Plymouth also offers many beautiful south shore beaches, that I myself grew up on (the towns of Marshfield and Duxbury have the best beaches). So you can easily plan a day to one of these areas without wasting your vacation traveling, or spending too much $.

I feel very lucky to have grown up in this area. September is a great time to travel to this area. Not too hot, not too cold and the foliage is just starting to change over. Smiley Happy

Excellent points and advice; ITA.

Plus, your dog avatar is so  sweet and cute. 8)