Honored Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

[ Edited ]

As many others have said it's still hot in Ft. Lauderdale in September, plus your dates are in the middle of hurricane season.

Boston.

Wher ever you go, have fun!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Re: If you had 3 nights in mid Sept. for a getaway..would you fly to Boston or Ft. Lauderdale?

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I need to decide, I have free tickets. I have never been to either. I realize they are very different and would like some advice.

Many thanks for your input.

Boston without a second thought!!!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Boston.  Not a fan of Florida because of the heat, the flat land, and the bugs.  And this is saying this with my daughter living there.  Love her but so glad to get home when we visit.  

Respected Contributor

Since I haven't been to Fl. and live near Boston, Fl. would be my choice.

Really depends, do you want to walk a lot and sight-see? You will be walking and taking subway cars and taxis if you want to see the town. On the other hand if you want to lay on the beach and just relax, Fl. would be better.  

You can get to Nantucket or Martha's Vinyard that people mentioned, but the traveling to and from (they are islands) takes most of the day. Also the ferry doesn't run all night and you won't want to stay over, even if you could.  Hotels are probably all booked and prices are crazy (really, Google). There are beaches around Boston,  but they aren't really worth coming to town for. 

So, let us know what you choose.

Honored Contributor

I'd choose Boston over Ft Lauderdale even in the dead of winter.

Honored Contributor

Florida, only if I could swing by Disneyworld.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd pick Florida. September highs are low to mid 80's--not too hot, and Florida doesn't have the humidity that many of us in the South encounter.
Valued Contributor

Well I may be bias because I live there but.. Boston. Cat Happy

Forget about the Vineyard or Nantucket, you don't have enough time to get there. Not to mention getting a car over there is expensive and usually books out months in advance, plus renting a vehicle on the islands is an utter rip off.

You can stay in Boston happily and find many gems. Lots of touristy areas all in the same 5 mile radius (Fenway, the Seaport, Faneuil Hall, etc). However for nicer beaches I'd take a trip out to the Cape. Plymouth, with no traffic, is only a 45min-1hr drive. The trip from Boston to Plymouth also offers many beautiful south shore beaches, that I myself grew up on (the towns of Marshfield and Duxbury have the best beaches). So you can easily plan a day to one of these areas without wasting your vacation traveling, or spending too much $.

I feel very lucky to have grown up in this area. September is a great time to travel to this area. Not too hot, not too cold and the foliage is just starting to change over. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Boston is nicer in October.  In FLL (I live fairly close to the city) it is the middle of hurricane and rainy season.  Not an optimal time to visit FL but one of the best times to visit New England. 

If it were Feb., I'd recommend FLL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:
I'd pick Florida. September highs are low to mid 80's--not too hot, and Florida doesn't have the humidity that many of us in the South encounter.

I've never noticed there was no humidity in Florida.

We went to a football game in Florida late September.  It was beyond oppressively hot.