Honored Contributor

Re: If you got to go into NY, what would you want to be sure and do?

We split our time between NYC and the Jersey Shore.  The city, particularly at Christmas, never gets old.  Every year when I see the tree at Rockefeller Center, I feel like a child again.

If my time were limited, I'd do a hop on and off bus tour.  You see so much, and it helps you get a lay of the city.

Recently I was in Paris and I must say, no other city does Christmas lights like Paris.  It was beyond stunning.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One year,  my family (we also took my sister-in-law, one of her gifts) and I went to NYC Christmas week to see the Radio City Christmas Show (Rockettes are so fantastic).  Then over to Rockefeller Plaza, (tree, Angels all the lights) just breathtaking.  Then onto  a wonderful carriage ride around Central Park (it was so cold that day).  We topped it off with a delicious dinner in Little Italy at Angelo's.  Perfecto!  Still think about that special day quite often, especially during the holiday season🎄❤️

I've been fortunate enough to grow up within 45 minutes by car or train (express) ride from Manhattan.  Worked there for a while too.

Always fun, always an adventure, and I never tire of it.  NYC never gets old.  Please put it on your bucket list!

I live in Alaska (for now), and I would love to see One World Trade Center one day.🎄🌹🎄

Respected Contributor

I lived in Manhattan for almost 15 years.  I would want to do a cab ride down Park Avenue, beautifully lit at this season, at least the last time I was there at Christmas, in 2001.

I went that year in solidarity with what the city had suffered not only during but after the 2001 attacks. 

I would also want a hot pretzel from a cart, preferably on Fifth Avenue in the vicinity of 57th St.  Then an opera at the Met, since dreaming is free.  Puccini or Verdi.

Respected Contributor

I just returned from NYC and the best suggestion I have is to take along someone who knows the city.  This small town girl would have been totally lost.  We navigating those streets and subways like it was no big deal.  I had a fantastic experience.  Magical, for sure!!!  I loved every minute of the trip! 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I fantasize about what great fun NY might be.

I think I'd like to take in a fashion show, and check out all the big store windows dressed up for Christmas. (I think that's from watching movies of children looking at those type of windows.) Second childhood. LOL

@qualitygal

Hmm .....    Everyone is assuming you mean New York City ... not New York, the state.    Is that what you meant? 

Trusted Contributor

When my children were younger we used to take the ferry from Edgewater, NJ to see the Christmas show at Radio City.  They just loved the ferry ride as much as the show.

Sometimes, I wish I could just go back in time. 

The joys of Christmas through a child's eyes....

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to all !!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I fantasize about what great fun NY might be.

I think I'd like to take in a fashion show, and check out all the big store windows dressed up for Christmas. (I think that's from watching movies of children looking at those type of windows.) Second childhood. LOL

@qualitygal

Hmm .....    Everyone is assuming you mean New York City ... not New York, the state.    Is that what you meant? 

NYC is in NY, the state. Yes, it is obvious she meant NYC,NY.

Respected Contributor

I like to visit the Cloisters. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I was in NYC once in my life and that was absolutely enough for me. I am a small town girl, NYC is too much for me. 

@151949: I live in the suburbs of NYC, and at this time of year, NYC is too much for me, too. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I am so close to NYC that if I sneeze really hard I will be in Manhattan but I just can't deal with the crowds.

There are some things I would love to do.

It looks so exciting.

Years ago I had to go for business reasons but after that I would head home on the first thing smokin' to get away from there!