Honored Contributor

Re: If you got to go into NY, what would you want to be sure and do?

September 11th Memorial and Museum-don't know how I could handle it emotionally but I could try

See Hamilton, if I could somehow get tickets for face value

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

See an opera at the Met. 

You are correct.  I took my sister once when she was visiting.  She often said it was the most interesting thing she has ever done.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I would want to take in all the magic of Christmas in the Big Apple...the atmosphere, the bustle, the excitement. I've been to most of the sights there. It's just the New York state of mind that attracts me, since I am a West Coaster.  My neighbor girl just got in from NYC two days ago. She is in her first year of college there, and loves every bit of the lure of THE CITY.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been to NYC hundreds of times.  It is a city that I have never felt comfortable in.  I Always feel like there is doom on the way and that someone is watching me.

I went to school in Manhattan for two week right down the street from the twin towers.  A couple of the girls wanted to go to the top to see the great views. I was 21 years old at the time (1976) and I wouldn't set foot in there.

NYC is an island and it is rock.  The subways are tunneled trough the rock and there are very, very tall buildings built on tunneled out rock.... no thanks.

I do enjoy the restaurants and the theatre district and China Town.  VIsiting the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island is nice when the weather is warmer.

I am just happy when I am out of there and breath a sigh of relief.

Honored Contributor

Christmas in Nyc is a great experience but it is in all the big cities that are tourist destinations.  Although, the dressing up part doesn't apply now.  People aren't walking around the streets dressed in furs and lace and pearls.  We did the Christmas time in Nyc when our girls were teens, a couple of times.  Not Christmas day of course, a week or so before and we did all the touristy stuff and some shopping.  I would love to visit Charlotte or New Orleans during the holiday season and I live outside of Boston, so we get to experience that every year. 

Honored Contributor

Manhattan is a boro in NYC not all of it, the 4 other boros have wonderful residental areas, with parks and beaches and open spaces, please do not judge the city by what you have seen of Manhattan.

@Carmie wrote:

I have been to NYC hundreds of times.  It is a city that I have never felt comfortable in.  I Always feel like there is doom on the way and that someone is watching me.

I went to school in Manhattan for two week right down the street from the twin towers.  A couple of the girls wanted to go to the top to see the great views. I was 21 years old at the time (1976) and I wouldn't set foot in there.

NYC is an island and it is rock.  The subways are tunneled trough the rock and there are very, very tall buildings built on tunneled out rock.... no thanks.

I do enjoy the restaurants and the theatre district and China Town.  I am just happy when I am out of there and breath a sigh of relief.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I have been to NY twice. Once with a bus load of high school choir kids, so we got to see all of the spots like the Statue, Ellis Island, went to a Harlem church & saw a group sing, the UN, Carnegie Hall. Then I went with my friend. Her aunt worked for a celebrity couple & knew all of the sites & the best way to get to everything. We saw a show each day that we were there, Chicago, Hairspray, Wicked, Putnam County Spelling Bee & it was the best trip EVER! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Manhattan is a boro in NYC not all of it, the 4 other boros have wonderful residental areas, with parks and beaches and open spaces, please do not judge the city by what you have seen of Manhattan.

@Carmie wrote:

I do enjoy the restaurants and the theatre district and China Town.  I am just happy when I am out of there and breath a sigh of relief.

I am familiar with NYC as a whole.  I used to have to go there at least twice a month for years.  I just can't feel comfortable there.  I have had fun, but there is always an overcast feeling for me.  When most people think of NYC  they think of Manhattan, and that's where they want to go. 

I was even there for the Worlds Fair when I was 10... I was creeped out then too. I remember being  on a bus with my Aunt and older sister and asking if we could just go home.

I am not judging, just explaining how I feel.  I just feel watched and threatened that something bad is going to happen..... earth quake, flood,  etc.  

I have felt that way in some areas of Texas too... I have no idea why.

Honored Contributor

I'm a native NYer ... born and reared in Queens, and a Manhattan resident since 1992.    (I also lived a short time in Brooklyn and Staten Island - only borough I missed was the Bronx.)

Why not go look through some of the NYC listings online and pick out some things.  There's one that lists:  

170+ things to do in New York.

Fantastic city to live, work and play!

Esteemed Contributor

I am a native New Yorker.  If you get the chance to visit NYC during the Christmas holiday, be sure to come to Brooklyn.  My neighborhood - Dyker Heights, is famous for our Christmas lights.  We have tour buses going past our house and it  gets so crowded  the police are needed for traffic control.  Do a search on Google or Facebook and you will see some good videos.