Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you could live anywhere in the U.S., where would it be?

I have lived in NJ all of my life....we sold our house and I now live on the Palisades in a 12th floor condo with a fantastic view of Manhattan....I worked in NYC 28 years and love the City but I feel NJ within walking distance over the bridge or a short Ferry ride is the best of 2 worlds.  Retired now, I could never afford a large space with a pool and gym on site....and, I love the skyline view from this side of the Hudson....medical care is excellent in N Jersey but NYC is there if need be....

i need a change of seasons but winters are starting to bother me...so now I snowbird but Fla is not my choice ....too many folks and ex neighbor's from NJ and I like to meet people from all over.  I like people from all states and none or better or nicer than the other....

i do have a second home in Italy and love it there....last year I fled to Australia/NZ for a winter month...I could live in either easily....changing seasons, interesting and great animals and people and this year winter will be in Hawaii

so I often think of leaving NJ for tax purposes and heading to Delaware which is a great little state but I can't leave that skyline....so I think I will always live here

Super Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Have lived or visited other areas of the country but prefer the northeast. Love where I live now, but would prefer Massachusetts, preferably the north shore. 

I have a neighbor from Cape Cod who says he can only spend about 3 months in Florida because only people from New England understand people from New England, and everyone else frustrates him. I should ask him to elaborate on that sometime.

Don't people from New England have the reputation of being gruff, no-nonsense types who dislike chit chat and frivolity? Perhaps that's what he is referring to.....I wouldn't know as I've never been to New England and have no desire to go except to see the coast of Maine with lighthouses......

I live in Massachusetts and I guess we do have that reputation.  Years ago, my husband and I were at a local diner having breakfast and started chatting with the gentleman sitting next to us.  He had a heavy southern accent and asked where we were from.  We told him we  were locals and he couldn't believe it.  He said most of the people he'd met in New England were rather "frosty."  I don't know if I agree with that, but I will say that, in general, New Englanders are probably not as friendly as those from the south. 

I love where I live.  I don't mind cold but I do hate snow, so that is a major dawback.  I do think I tend to appreciate the summers more than I would if I lived in a place where it is warm year-round.  My absolute favorite month is October.  Autumn in New England is truly spectacular. 

As a Northeast transplant who has lived all over the South, you are just as friendly as everyone who lives here.  The main difference is lifestyle.  The South is more relaxed and slower paced most of the time than the fast paced cities we know and maybe love such as Boston, NYC and Philly.  And people can be just as rude and even take it to an art form here in the Southern hospitality states.  I know.  I've met them occasionally.  

Bottom line, we're more similar than we are different.  We just have to learn the nuances of where we are and, when you're just passing through, you don't get the opportunity to do that and can unintentionally offend the locals.  And by the way, I run into just as many transplants as I do natives in the South.  A lot of us have jumped into the moving truck.

Don't let anyone ever make you feel less than because of where your home is or was.  It's very rare that someone looks at me funny here because of where I come from rather than how I behave.  Most of us know and use please and thank you and that's all you ever need to get along with the majority of people around our country.       

I've been thinking about this, and I believe you're right, Laura.  My husband and I have had the good fortune to travel fairly extensively, and we have found that, like you said, we all are more similar than we are different.  One example:  We used to go to Paris fairly often for my husband's job.  When we told people we had been there, they would usually go on about how the French hate Americans.  They "knew" this even though, in most cases, they had never been there.  Our experience was quite different.  Sure, some people we encountered in Paris, and elsewhere, were not particularly friendly.  But most of them were just lovely.  Kind of like here in America.  There are nice people, and not so nice people, everywhere.

Honored Contributor

I like the scenery and weather in San Fracisco and Seattle, an occassional vacation to Hawaii would be nice too.

My least favorite place would be Florida.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

We've had many homes in our lifetime, but MI is my favorite. I love 4 seasons. Some are longer than others. I wouldn't give up all the trees for all the tea in China.

@qualitygal I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what state MI is the abbreviation for (I'm hanging my head).

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

I've always wanted to live in a high-rise, maybe in NYC.  San Francisco looks nice, too.

You would not want to be in a high-rise in San Francisco. One word: earthquakes. I would not want to be in a high-rise anywhere in CA unless it was built in the last 10-12 years on base isolators.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Born and raised in LA but sick of living in SoCal as it is now for many reasons - weather, prices and congestion being just three. It used to be hot and dry; now it's hot and humid much of the time. Air quality is not great. The city is traffic gridlock much of the time. You can't go anywhere without it taking twice as long as it should and costing you way too much to park - if you can find a place to park. Public transit is okay, not great, and often dangerous.

I now live on CA's Central Coast. Much cooler temperatures, more rain, less traffic, cheaper gasoline, clean air (except for right now with the fires, sigh). Beautiful scenery all around. The trade-off is less of things like good restaurants, culture (museums, concerts) and plntiful healthcare choices.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@sunala, That's (MI) the great state of Michigan.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@sunala, That's (MI) the great state of Michigan.

@qualitygal thanks! I get confused with all the abbreviations for "M" states as well as for "A" states. I'm good with the rest of the alphabet though.

I agree, let's go back to cursive writing, and while we're at it, let's also go back to the original abbreviations for states!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Carmel CA
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I could afford.....Cameo Shores in Carona Del Mar. (Newport Beach)  Most expensive neighborhood in the U.S.  Every house has a individual view of the Pacific high on a cliff.  Being as I can't.....probably Pacific Northwest.

Cameo Shores

https://vimeo.com/148250845