Honored Contributor

Re: If you could be the "Master" of something, what would it be?

[ Edited ]

pianist.  I took lessons for a few years many, many years ago. My parents saved for a beautiful Bosendorfer Grand Piano, and they played often.  I never was good at it. 

I'd love to be able to play the piano well.  I should probably take lessons, but then I'd have to get a piano, LOL. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

My friend is teaching me to crochet.  I had no idea how hard it was going to be.  I don't have a lot of free time, but I've been practicing every spare minute I get. DH says I'm obsessed. I want to master the craft, as I think it will be a hobby I can enjoy for years to come. 

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I wish I could paint or draw really really well. My daughter and I started going to this art place as I have wanted to do this for a while. It was a drink and draw night, and out of everyone in the class, mine looked the absolute worst. I have zero painting ability. 

Shoekitty said

But you are a master of "painting:" hair.  LOL!

lol! That is exactly what my daughter told me. I said I hate I have no artistic ability at all. She said you absolutely do, what do you think you did for over 12 yrs transforming hair. I just mean on a canvas. I admire those who can paint or draw so much. I would love to be able to do that. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Time, Space and Dimension....

Esteemed Contributor

First off I am sorry about your back issue. I hope and pray you are getting relief from pain. (I have a bad back and had spine surgery years ago in my neck but my lower back and leg are bad the past years).

In answer to your master question; I pick a master musician. I play guitar and keyboard but not near like I did when I was younger.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

'Master of recognizing my own accomplishments' and 'Master of confidence'. Due to growing up with a highly critical mother, I have issues acknowledging and seeing my self-worth. I struggle with my self-esteem and I just wish I could see what my husband sees.... 

@NycVixen

Hi NycVixen,

I've read your response several times now and really feel a need to come back and share my experience with you, as my mother was the same.

Once I moved onto college and really started to expand myself socially and intellectually, I decided it was time to take a look at my life: I didn't like the way the lack of nurturing, the hate my mother spewed and the distance my father kept had an effect on the adult person I was becoming.

I had a lot of "talks" with myself and came to a number of conclusions.

First of all, though brought up Christian, I didn't believe that being born into a family meant that we instantly had to love each and every person in that family: "Love thy father and mother."  I told God this just wasn't going to work with a women whose every reaction was to slap me silly, scream and yell at me and be critical at me to such a degree as to never ever go to one of my concerts, nor to my high school or college graduations.  And when she and my father finally decided to divorce, she took her sizable chunk of cash and had a field day: furnished the house in new Danish teak furniture (all the rage in the mid-60s), furs, a boat, boyfriends/wardrobe,  new che-che car and the list goes on.  One day she approached me, during my senior year in high school, and said, "You know that university you were accepted to back east and expected to attend, well, you can forget it.  I'm not spending another penny on you (because she had blown my college fund already), so if you want to go to college, figure it out yourself.

So, NycVixen, I decided to have done with my mother and as much of that "baggage" as I could.  How could I move on in life otherwise?

And I did move on.  I had to start out cheap.  Went to the local junior college to take care of my general ed requirements and believe me, I've been teased as an adult so many times for that!  "YOU went to a junior college?"  "Well, yes I did, because my i-iot mother spent my college fund."  That always shut them up.  And, of course, I always had a part-time job along with my full time academic load.

With my "mother the monkey" off my back, I began to develop socially and more importantly intellectually.  My brain was taking off exponentially.  I don't know if any studies have addressed this, but from my perspective, you've gotta get rid of/let go of those horrible influences in your life before your brain can really grow and function.  I would posit that this is very true of children, teens and young adults.  After my first degree, I went to nursing school and was first in my class.  There's a point being made here:  as God is my witness, there is NO way I could have been first in my class if I was still psychologically tied to that woman!

My head and heart thrive without her.  She was a menace to all things beautiful in this world.

And so, having retired 2 years ago, I want you to know that though there were some bumps in the road, as everyone might experience, I've walked straight with my head held high with confidence oozing from every pore.  I am who I am because I made me. I needed to make me, because there was no one else on board my boat who was going to help and I've done OK.

You-can-too!

God Bless ~ Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My friend is teaching me to crochet.  I had no idea how hard it was going to be.  I don't have a lot of free time, but I've been practicing every spare minute I get. DH says I'm obsessed. I want to master the craft, as I think it will be a hobby I can enjoy for years to come. 

@house_cat

Hi house_cat!

I'm so happy to hear that you're learning to crochet!  You go girl!  Keep at it.  One piece of advice I'd give you is to invest in a few crochet books for reference.  I have about a dozen and refer to them often.  Even with the internet at our fingertips, there's nothing like a book to have in front of you.

When I'm available, I LOVE to watch "Knit and Crochet Now" on the second PBS channel we have here in Portland.  It comes on every Wednesday at 8:00 a.m.  Because I knit a bit, this program is a win-win!  You can check them out as a resource on knitandcrochetnowtv.com.  I think you have to put the "tv" in there.  Anyway, it's a basic, but fun resource.  There are many more comprehensive ones.  (Check out "Interweave.com," then click on crochet listed in the banner across the top.  Lots of patterns available here.)

My Aunt June was a Master Crocheter and I always wished she could teach me, but she lived 2,500 miles away.  Luckily, when DH and I moved into our first apartment, our downstairs neighbors were a husband and wife with 2 kids.  The wife crocheted like crazy and that's where I started to learn how to crochet.

If you go online and look at the front of the current edition of "Crochet Magazine," you'll see the sweater I'm just beginning to work on.  That sweater ROCKS! 

All the best to you, as you happily work your way through learning and enjoying crochet.  Just keep telling yourself:  all I'm doing is creating knots using a hook and it's going to look great when it's complete.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative@house_cat

I would like to be able to make these for gifts... I like them!

2015-10-06 16.45.42.jpgcoffee cozy 4.jpgcoffee cozy 2.pngcoffee cozy.jpg

@Feline Groovy

"Master of my Domain"... I used to tell the kids this for math... Sort of a joke except they didn't know what "domain" meant! There WERE a very few who looked at me incredulously like "does she know what she is talking about?"

Since they liked the idea implying they would be masters of something, they decided it was a good idea! LOL

EVEN IF IT MEANT MATH

pumpkin pi.jpg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

"Master of my Domain"... I used to tell the kids this for math... Sort of a joke except they didn't know what "domain" meant! There WERE a very few who looked at me incredulously like "does she know what she is talking about?"

Since they liked the idea implying they would be masters of something, they decided it was a good idea! LOL

EVEN IF IT MEANT MATH

pumpkin pi.jpg

lovestoteach, no wonder I enjoy your posts...I am a retired high school math teacher!

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative@house_cat

I would like to be able to make these for gifts... I like them!

2015-10-06 16.45.42.jpgcoffee cozy 4.jpgcoffee cozy 2.pngcoffee cozy.jpg

@feline groovy

EVEN IF IT MEANT MATH

pumpkin pi.jpg

@LTT1

Loves,

These would not be difficult to make with the basics of crochet on board.  The only thing I would question is the first one you showed: it is the mug that has what looks like a white flower.  Is this a multi-layer fabric flower or is the flower crocheted?  If crocheted, then the difficulty level for that particular one goes up. 

In any such case, you COULD do these.  Can you get the patterns?  How about taking a basic crochet class?