Trusted Contributor

If you are taking prescription medications - NO BLOOD ORANGES

I take a variety of medications from a transplant I had almost 10 years ago. There is a growing list of foods I am unable to eat - and I am sure there are many others out there that cannot eat fruits like grapefruit and pomegranate (I know there is some other fruit to 'shun' but I cannot remember what it is). You can add blood oranges to that list.

My Doctor from Hopkins called me this afternoon to advise me my monthly labs where off and asked if I was eating certain foods. I knew about grapefruit and pomegranate but I did not know that blood oranges is another fruit to avoid.

Trusted Contributor

Re: If you are taking prescription medications - NO BLOOD ORANGES

This would apply to certain medical conditions and certain medications. To use it as a blanket statement, implying that blood oranges are contraindicated for those taking any prescription medication, is irresponsible.

It is important for people to be in communication with their doctor (as you re) and their pharmacist as well as reading up on the medications they take because you are right that some foods should be avoided when taking certain medications.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2015 KYToby said:

This would apply to certain medical conditions and certain medications. To use it as a blanket statement, implying that blood oranges are contraindicated for those taking any prescription medication, is irresponsible.

It is important for people to be in communication with their doctor (as you re) and their pharmacist as well as reading up on the medications they take because you are right that some foods should be avoided when taking certain medications.

Great post - I totally agree!

Blood oranges absolutely are not contraindicated for anyone taking prescription medication. Every medication is different, every combination of medications is different, every potential food interaction is different, and every person is different. What's contraindicated in one case may be perfectly fine in another. What's harmless for one can be deadly for another.

IMO no one should be giving medical or medication advice of any kind on these forums, no matter how well-meaning.

Esteemed Contributor

What is a blood orange??

Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2015 colliegirls said:

What is a blood orange??

It's a variety of orange that has a crimson colored flesh. You can Google it for more info.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:

What is a blood orange??

It's a variety of orange that has a crimson colored flesh. You can Google it for more info.

Thank you. I have never seen one nor heard of it before.

Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:

What is a blood orange??

Thank you. I have never seen one nor heard of it before.

I see them sometimes in my organic grocery store. The first time I ever ate one was as a teen when I was staying with relatives in Austria. Personally, I don't care for them as much as other citrus.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

My father in law came to stay with us and told me almost as he was leaving, that his doctor told him not to eat garlic or cranberries. Would have been good to have that info at the start of the visit, not the end {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

And like everyone else is saying in this thread, those were prohibitions just for him. They don't apply to me or anyone else in our family.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. We have a gorgeous blood orange tree that gives us marvelous fruit.

I will check to see if any of my meds react with them. I appreciate any information that I can use.

Honored Contributor

I cannot bring myself to eat those oranges. If they'd named them something like ""sunset oranges"" or ""tropical oranges"" I'd be fine. But the look just like fruit covered with blood and I can't stand them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment