Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you are going to sell on ebay, PLEASE.............

CB, I've had a few "crazy" things happen on eBay too.  I collect old Chintz China in several patterns and colors.  (If you're not familiar with it, it has the tiny flower patterns on it)

I won the auction for a teapot in one of my patterns.  When I received it, the knob on the lid was broken off where it attached to the lid.  I thought that's just not possible... I kept looking at how it was packaged, and the packaging was totally intact, tightly bubblewrapped, no damage to the box.  I could not see any way on earth that knob could have gotten broken in transit.

I contacted the seller, and within two or three minutes, he had emailed me a copy of the post office receipt and told me to file a claim.  Now I know some people are organized, but 2-3 minutes?  It was as though he was sitting there with the receipt in his hand waiting for me to contact him. It would take my son at least 10 minutes just to find the receipt for something he shipped.  Between how fast he got me the receipt, and the way it was packaged, I have no doubt in my mind that the seller shipped that teapot already broken!    

The funny thing is, the way it was broken, glued back you can't even see that there was ever a problem.  I got my money back AND kept the teapot, and it sits in my cabinet where I enjoy seeing it!  I have no intentions of selling it, so I really don't care that the knob was broken.  

I also bought a cup and saucer from a seller in Australia... needless to say, the shipping was high.  When I got it, I realized he had advertised it as a regular cup and saucer and gave the dimensions as such, but it was actually a demitasse cup and saucer, and the dimensions were quite different.  I was very angry... in a nutshell, he wanted me to ship it back to him for a refund.  I paid $15.00 for the cup and saucer + the shipping to me... the cheapest way I could find to ship it back to Australia was $39.00! It was "not as described", so I took it to eBay.  I wound up keeping the cup and saucer, got my money back, and he didn't like it one bit.  But eBay made the decision!  He didn't like my feedback on him either! Giggling animated emoticon

Respected Contributor

croemer said:

"Re: If you are going to sell on ebay, PLEASE............. [ New ]

2 hours ago

"another hint...when done shoping be sure and sign out. I forgot yesterday morning and found someone hacked my account and tried to purchase an I-Phone...which I caught fairly quickly. e-bay was wonderful and handled the situation. It did take much time changing up my security info..changing passwords on both my account and paypal...I learned a valuble lesson."

That's awful Croemer I didn't even know that could happen, thanks for the warning.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Hey Kitty!  Glad the teapot was fixable and usable, AND that you got your money back.  Usually, the evidence presents itself pretty clearly with stuff like that and you can totally tell (I used to do this) if it was a) broken in transit; or b) broken in the process of packing or before it was even packed.  

Sounds like they had an accident and hoped maybe they could pull it off at that point.

When I was selling I was HUGE on customer service, fast shipping, and proper packing.  I once sold a large collectible set of items (lots of items with two HUGE pieces) to a guy in Singapore.  Man, that was a job and he paid whatever he needed to pay for me to safely pack it and ship it to him.  I was just glad that he was thrilled when he got it.

I once had a lady who saw a coffee mug that I listed.  Nothing special, from my POV, but I guess she had one just like it that she loved so much.  Something happened that caused hers to be broken.  She was so beyond thrilled to see mine listed.  So she asked please please please be sure to pack it super well.  Well, me knowing me, I said 'oh doncha worry one bit. You'll get it safe and sound'.  

After I packed it and mailed it out I wrote her a note.  I told her that she's going to crack up when she gets that package, but I want her to be forewarned.   I didn't tell her this part because I wanted her to laugh like crazy and be surprised, but I packed that one regular-sized mug SO well that they could have run over it with a truck and it would be ok.  I ended up with it in a 12x12x12" box.   She was appropriately cracked up when she saw that ginormous box.

For a while, before ebay got too strange, and expensive for me, plus they stopped supporting sellers at all from getting burned, I loved selling.  Don't get me wrong - I loved making money.  But I also loved having people find things from me that they really wanted and be so happy to get them.  I got a lot just from that.  It was a source of pride that I knew I had accurately described everything, I put up excellent pics, and I provided top notch customer service.  Smiley Happy  I had thousands of feedback and never got a neg.

Honored Contributor

I'm an eBay reseller and I double box highly fragile items.  I sell quite a few Antiques as well, fragile wood items and will double box those as well.  Sometimes it's a real challenge but I love the stuff I sell and don't want it in pieces when it gets there!

BTW, I don't know of ANY reseller who wouldn't mind being asked to use large bubble wrap and double box your item and to wrap it carefully for you... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@sam96 wrote:
As a buyer I completely agree!!!

The few times I've sold have been frustrating. One time I received a negative feedback from a buyer who said her fragile item was "too difficult " to unwrap! I was like...seriously? You're complaining that it arrived well packaged, intact, but it took you a couple of minutes to unwrap??? 😳

That was one of the last times I sold on ebay. I was just stunned!

No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't sell on Ebay but as a buyer, I've gotten both beautifully packaged and a few not so. I'll never forget the estate 18k earrings I received in a Jello box wrapped in brown paper with Kleenex inside. However, they arrived in perfect condition so I gave them a positive.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@sam96 wrote:
As a buyer I completely agree!!!

The few times I've sold have been frustrating. One time I received a negative feedback from a buyer who said her fragile item was "too difficult " to unwrap! I was like...seriously? You're complaining that it arrived well packaged, intact, but it took you a couple of minutes to unwrap??? 😳

That was one of the last times I sold on ebay. I was just stunned!

No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't sell on Ebay but as a buyer, I've gotten both beautifully packaged and a few not so. I'll never forget the estate 18k earrings I received in a Jello box wrapped in brown paper with Kleenex inside. However, they arrived in perfect condition so I gave them a positive.

That's hysterical, occasionalrain!  Smiley LOL

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)