Honored Contributor

If you are feeling stressed or worried, watch Johnny Weir skating to Dr. Zhivago

I watched this after watching a cd of Barbara Streisand's son singing.

I never realized what a beautiful and incredible skater Johnny Weir was. He was technically perfect in 2004, 2005, earning 7 perfect scores (6.0) before the scoring was changed.And winning the National championships.

The wonderful thing is his jumps are skated in with all the artistry, not like "here comes the jump", then skate. Just the whole skate is a lyrical piece of music and artistry. I think I could watch him all day. Beautiful and mesmerizing and never boring.

Everything he does is what skating should be. I'm so glad I discovered this and all because of a thread about Babs! But you know how youtube goes-just one more...!

I think if you love skating and also how it used to be-technically and artisticly blended with meaning and beauty in every single movement, you will love watching him.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Re: If you are feeling stressed or worried, watch Johnny Weir skating to Dr. Zhivago

All that enthusiasm from @on the bay and no help of a link to see it. It is a lovely performance and he was certainly a terrific and exciting skater.

Here is Johnny Weir at the 2004 Nationals skating to the Dr. Zhivago score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mqmF_VK614

Honored Contributor

Re: If you are feeling stressed or worried, watch Johnny Weir skating to Dr. Zhivago

@gizmogal wrote:

All that enthusiasm from @on the bay and no help of a link to see it. It is a lovely performance and he was certainly a terrific and exciting skater.

Here is Johnny Weir at the 2004 Nationals skating to the Dr. Zhivago score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mqmF_VK614

@gizmogal,

I think it is so much easier, instead of a link, to just put in any search bar-Johnny Weir 2004,

or Johnny Weir Dr. Zhivago.

If we know the subject it is easy to find it. Many, including myself do not like to click on links.

I'm sorry you were disappointed, but either way, you can watch it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

@gizmogal 

Heck, I went ahead and watched.  Brilliant choice of music.

Enjoyed it -- thanks! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay 

Did I see the words ice skating? No, but I know the subject is about an ice skater. I have watched many figures skaters going back to Sonya Henie(not live of course)/Peggy Fleming/Dorothy Hamill and forward.

Figure skating I have no personal expertise via skating, but! I know what it takes to excel at any type of ice skating, and natural talent, is but a small piece. Skate/fall/get up, over and over and over. There are no shortcuts to excellence.

I am not qualified to judge a figure skaters performance. I did run an Adult Hockey League for 52 years. I was the sole judge of every single player that played in it over that 52 year span. Skating was only a part of it, but very few excelled at the game, if they were not at least good skaters.

I used no point system while judging and deciding what level was their best fit. Parity was always my primary goal when placing players on specific teams. That system worked very well for me over those decades.

Hockey is a team sport. Figure skating performance is an individual sport. There is a big difference, but several similarities. 

Judging a running race is easy, and cannot be partial. Judging ice skating/diving/gymnastics? There is quite a bit of room for partiality, and to me, therein lies the rub.

Your thread topic? I do not or worry about things I cannot control, however! Right now for me in my present condition? Watching a graceful figure skating performance will have the opposite effect on me, loving it will not fit my circumstances.

Always enjoy ice skating threads, even when.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@on the bay   Johnny Weir sure owns that ice when he so elegantly skates.  Soothing to watch, even though I know the difficulty and challenges to perform at that level with deceptive ease.  Kudos to Johnny!

Honored Contributor

@on the bay   Oh my, that was a pleasure to behold!  Thanks for the post. Loved his performance and loved the music.

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal   Thanks for the link......that was fabulous!!

Honored Contributor

@jubilant, I'm so glad you liked it too! Thank you for your nice post!

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn,

As we all know (except for you), Ice Skating is the only skating!😄

I always remember how when we shared the public rink with those ice hockey guys, I would be thinking-uh! I wish they would get off the ice! We are just trying to do our arabesques and jumps and they are zooming around like maniacs!

I'm sure you may have been thinking the same though the opposite🤪

My nephew is on an ice hockey team.

For him I make an exception, but we don't skate together. And I don't skate anymore but it was probably my favorite thing to do in sports.

Btw I hope you are feeling betterSmiley Happy