Honored Contributor

Re: If this is true, it is terrible

They are angry because they paid for ,and were promised a service, they failed to get

Honored Contributor

@cherry I didn’t know that you paid extra for wheelchair services...thought it was a curtesy.Thanks

Honored Contributor

I don't know that they paid extra ,but this was preplanned, it should have been availble

Delta has a horrendous reputation for  pulling this stuff. They have done it to vets ,that are amputees, and other people as well

They guy that was forced to crawl, sued and won..google it, It is all over the news sites. Huffpo has a lengthy report about their treatment of disabled people @dex

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is a case where there is the son's story, the airlines story....and truth lies somewhere in between.    So, now we here that the woman's husband was accompanying her...lol   Why didn't he speak up if the situation was as bad as they claim?  

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@cherry I didn’t know that you paid extra for wheelchair services...thought it was a curtesy.Thanks

There isn't a charge for wheelchair assistance, either in the US or within the EU. You can tip the attendant if you wish, but there is no charge other than the cost of your airline ticket. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

So who IS the Airport-Contracted Wheelchair Vendor?

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/quality-standards/

It doesn't specifically say. It just says they're employed by the airport. It does give a timeframe for resolution of complaints. 

So the complaint is with Schiphol, not the airline.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

So who IS the Airport-Contracted Wheelchair Vendor?

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/quality-standards/

It doesn't specifically say. It just says they're employed by the airport. It does give a timeframe for resolution of complaints. 

So the complaint is with Schiphol, not the airline.

If I understand correctly, I would think so, as EU law would apply. Yes, the customer requested the service thru the airline when they booked the ticket, but that request would then be forwarded to the party responsible for providing it. I hardly think that Delta, or any other airline is perfect. I've had some doozy's of experiences with them myself. But the fault needs to lie with the party actually responsible for the service failure.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

@FrostyBabe1  After living in Europe close to 14 years, I always take anything I need with me.  You cannot count on anyone but yourself.  There is a definite language barrier, and I speak several, things get lost in translation.  If you need a wheel chair, take it, scooter, take it with the correct charger for 220 volts.  We are visitors and need to conform to their customs and lifestyle. Once I forgot shampoo in the  Black Forest, Germany, and paniced.  One tiny store closed at 12 on  Saturday and open Monday at 8.  Luckily the owner of the Gasthaus knew me and gave me a bottle of her shampoo.  We frequented Hotel Hirsch for over 20 years.  Again, if you want it, take it.

Valued Contributor

it isn't' terrible.  Make sure you take everything you need, no matter what.  Clothes you can wash in a sink but other things you truly need, take them.  Again, if you need a wheel chair  take it, scooter, take it with the charger accommodating the voltage and take an extra battery, Count on yourself.