Honored Contributor

Re: If they give it to you for 'free'

The store that gave me this invitation to try for free selected me because I have written many reviews of products they sell plus many of my reviews have had numerous votes. They want me to write reviews because they like what they see. I'm flattered.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

That has already happened to me.  A few months ago, there was beauty product on FB.  I went to the website to take a look, they offered a free one month sample for just shipping.  I bought and used it.  About two weeks later, I got an email and they they said that they would send the product to me free for a year and their only request was that after a year, I go to their site and give an honest review of the product.  It's a great product and every month, I receive the moisturizer and the tightening serum for 99 cents to cover the shipping.  Which, I don't believe even covers shipping.   I'm pretty sure shipping charges are more than 99 cents but that's what they bill.  I'd glady do it again for a product that I like and really do use.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee That sounds great. Free products for reviews. Just make sure no small print that you owe any money & are not obligated to purchase anything.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Here's the scoop...I register at this 'department store' . They email me a list of products to choose from. After I make my selection then they send me the products to try. After I try the products I am given a timeframe to post my review on-line. The products are free for me to keep once I give my reviews.

I looked at the registration form and there are boxes to check for the products and categories I'd be interested in. So it's not going to be a shotgun kind of thing. I can specify which products I would be interested in trying.

Amazon, and some of the vendors who sell there, do this all the time. Free products are also offered to prominent Youtube reviewers and online bloggers and reviewers in general. It doesn’t have to be a bribe.

What I think happens is that while the reviewer doesn’t have to like the product or give it a glowing review, reviewers generally don’t give truly bad reviews; I think that’s the psychology behind these offers. People rarely say that a freebie totally sucked; it’s human nature.

But I don’t think it works as they hope, in that when I read that someone has received a free item for review, I automatically take their review with a giant hunk o’salt. I don’t necessarily think they’re all lying, but I value their review less than someone who paid for the item.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That has already happened to me.  A few months ago, there was beauty product on FB.  I went to the website to take a look, they offered a free one month sample for just shipping.  I bought and used it.  About two weeks later, I got an email and they they said that they would send the product to me free for a year and their only request was that after a year, I go to their site and give an honest review of the product.  It's a great product and every month, I receive the moisturizer and the tightening serum for 99 cents to cover the shipping.  Which, I don't believe even covers shipping.   I'm pretty sure shipping charges are more than 99 cents but that's what they bill.  I'd glady do it again for a product that I like and really do use.

After a year??

I'm 64!  I don't even buy green bananas!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee, I say that you should go for it, they picked you because of the reviews you have done before.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

This practice is really common.  Big box stores like Lowe’s and even Amazon do this.  They send you items, and they could be expensive items and all they ask is for an honest review.

You will see comments like “I received this item for no cost to me in order to give my honest review”

i’d love To do this.  People receive cookware, a new kitchen floor, a bathroom vanities  and bathroom hardware, food, kitchen appliances and clothing.  Imagine getting a new refrigerator for no cost, except your time to do a review.

If the retailer was a good one and the item was something as wanted to try, i’d Jump on it.

Honored Contributor

i am really leary of "free" products because there is always a catch. somewhere along the line there is a catch.

it depends if i use the product and could use the product daily i just may do a survey on how i like that product. 

Again this all depends on what this "free" product is

Respected Contributor

I see these reviews on Amazon all the time.  They are upfront that they are given the item for a honest review.  Some are positive some are negative.   Since I pay for the items they are reviewing I often wish I was given the item instead of having to buy it.

Respected Contributor

I would, sure