Esteemed Contributor

Re: If they could do this . . .

@busymom22 wrote:

@Oostende wrote:

How about everyone just does his or her part?

Maybe kids don't sacrifice for old people much today, but I don't see many old people sacrificing for the young people either.

My grandmother would not have wanted me to give up my education, to give up dating to find a spouse, or give up working in my early career (which would sabotage my future earnings), just to protect her, when she could do a fine job of that just by staying home herself.

It seems remarkably selfish and disingenuous to complain about how others aren't doing enough for you.  It's true for kids and it's true for seniors.

Character is revealed when people are under duress and I don't see much courage or sacrifice on either side of the generation gap.

I agree with you. There are several retired people in my neighborhood who constantly complain that we should lockdown again.  I think sure, you can do that because you have your pension/retirement, your kids are grown, so locking down has no immediate affect on you personally.  Meanwhile people are truly hurting.  Children aren't getting educated, people are unemployed (as is my husband), and there are equally miserable consequences from long-term restrictions.

So many here refuse to see the ramifications restrictions/lockdowns/etc have on others.  They just expect everyone to protect them. Talk about selfish.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen wrote:

They are now saying they want the lockdowns/masks/social distancing to continue for the next ten years.

Who are "they?"

My husband just picked up lunch from a diner near us. The place was packed with indoor customers eating at tables. He had to circle the block four or five times to park. There was a long line of folks waiting to be seated. It could have been 2019. Same with supermarkets...many with no masks and social distancing? What's social distancing?

People are tired of all of it ....at least it is evident where I live on Long Island. Just back in July, I went to two physician's offices for care and the staff wore no masks. This was a neurologist's office located at Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre, N.Y.  At the time there was a mask mandate.

The reality is no matter how offensive I find any of this behavior nobody cares...I will try to do my part not to spread this virus but I doubt it is enough.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

Where I live, there are a whole lot of "Rules for thee, but not for me".  It is blatant.  That hypocrisy leads many to not comply.  

Yep - if it were really all that bad/dangerous 'they' wouldn't be attending/hosting parties themselves. I wish more people would

put two and two together but pointing it out can work, too.

Honored Contributor

I also see people complaining about the cruddy lifestyle problems that are the result of having a serious virus running rampant in a community. All these problems go along with a serious epidemic. Always have. They aren't going to go away until the disease does.

The Black Death caused huge problems, financially and socially, in the Middle Ages, even as people tried to carry on as best they could with very little scientific information. Same thing with Smallpox and other horrible diseases.

We all are upset about the economy being in the tank and children being unable to go to school and essential workers having to risk disease every day and families risking illness in order to gather together as usual. And businesses closing and hospitals overflowing and medical staff breaking down emotionally and not being able to travel overseas or go on a cruise.

That's just how it is. We need to accept it as the new normal pretty much forever if we aren't going to fight Covid or promote wide acceptance of a vaccine. It's true that it could continue for 10 years or longer at this rate. That's not my preference, but it's an honest look at continuing what we are doing (or more accurately not doing) right now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

We've been in this thing for about 8 months and it's obvious that only a vaccine will stop this disease. I now believe this virus just has to make its way through the population until there is herd immunity. Even areas that have social distanced and masked well are having outbreaks so obviously these two practices alone won't eradicate the virus.

@busymom22, herd immunity is crucial. That's the reason that the news about promising vaccines is so positive.

Your version, however, of herd immunity would kill thousands or more innocent people.

Regarding the vaccine, though, one poster said that it's here and we won't have to worry anymore. That is totally incorrect. It is not here yet and may not be for months; it's going to be quite some time before we should even contemplate not taking the normal percautions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

but many are not enforcing core values and as a result it appears each generation is creating more and more it's all about me people!!!

@Pook 

This started decades before the ******* Virus. In fact, I remember discussing this with my nephew back in the late '70's when he was a teacher in an elementary school in our city.

It was the: "don't hurt their self esteem/everyone gets a participation trophy" era. Now? As the sayings go, or something like this "the piper is getting paid/you reap what you sow".

I saw it when I was referring youth hockey. Moms carrying hockey sticks and bags for kids bigger than me. Kids leaving $100 hockey gloves in locker rooms, why? They were raised to expect, almost demand it.

And now generations since are surprised? I certainly am not, and it is exactly what I expected. 

What I said above has zip to do with the ***** Virus. But calling people "selfish" because of some of the arbitrary rules those with some power dictate? Nah, they dictate what we should do, but not themselves.

Classic examples are right out in the open of the hypocrisy of the top dogs in both coastal states. You are limited to "this", but not me or my family. Easy to find for anyone looking.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Where we live, at least, everyone wears a mask.  Everywhere.

Go into a med office, temp is also taken.  We in CT got hit hard early on, and many deaths in our tiny state.

Cannot believe some comments here.  So seniors are to blame for lockdowns and all this employment instability?

Very insulting, even for these boards.  We retired folks try to follow the rules, try to donate and help others.  We really don’t have power over the country.  Seniors are selfish?  

And the moderators let this stand???   Very sad indeed.  

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Pook wrote:

On Veteran's day one of my SO's relatives was bragging about the sacrifices made by members of the family posting pictures of family members who served in WW11, Korean War, Vietnam war and females in the family who volunteered to work in factories during the war and voluntarily gave back their gas coupons for the military but yet she says she is not going to stop living to help curb this virus and help save lives!!!  This is an era of so many selfish people who only want what they want.  While I can understand people wanting their kids not to have the struggles they did but many are not enforcing core values and as a result it appears each generation is creating more and more it's all about me people!!!

@Pook   It's just not the kids. The adults are partying and going to group gatherings, protests w/o masks as well.

Exactly! People in leadership roles on both sides sending mixed messages. Celebrations and rallies both body to body. When the leaders go against what social distancing and mask wearing is advised it is no wonder good people on a shopping board can't agree.

@Nancy Drew, I could not agree more with you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

They are now saying they want the lockdowns/masks/social distancing to continue for the next ten years.

@morganjen 

Disinformation is a major part of the on-going problem, the ubiquitous ‘they’.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

no way, 10 yrs my ***