Esteemed Contributor

Re: If they could do this . . .

@Shanus wrote:

@Pook wrote:

On Veteran's day one of my SO's relatives was bragging about the sacrifices made by members of the family posting pictures of family members who served in WW11, Korean War, Vietnam war and females in the family who volunteered to work in factories during the war and voluntarily gave back their gas coupons for the military but yet she says she is not going to stop living to help curb this virus and help save lives!!!  This is an era of so many selfish people who only want what they want.  While I can understand people wanting their kids not to have the struggles they did but many are not enforcing core values and as a result it appears each generation is creating more and more it's all about me people!!!

@Pook   It's just not the kids. The adults are partying and going to group gatherings, protests w/o masks as well.

Exactly! People in leadership roles on both sides sending mixed messages. Celebrations and rallies both body to body. When the leaders go against what social distancing and mask wearing is advised it is no wonder good people on a shopping board can't agree.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

How about everyone just does his or her part?

Maybe kids don't sacrifice for old people much today, but I don't see many old people sacrificing for the young people either.

My grandmother would not have wanted me to give up my education, to give up dating to find a spouse, or give up working in my early career (which would sabotage my future earnings), just to protect her, when she could do a fine job of that just by staying home herself.

It seems remarkably selfish and disingenuous to complain about how others aren't doing enough for you.  It's true for kids and it's true for seniors.

Character is revealed when people are under duress and I don't see much courage or sacrifice on either side of the generation gap.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

When I see young adults acting like self entitled twits I wonder where are the parents ?  I know nobody disciplines their kids any more. All raised

like gerbils from day one, but, looks like the parents of these older kids could suggest that maybe it's not a good idea to go to a swimming event, wedding, rally, sporting event, etc.

they do what they want too and think nothing about coming home and there sits parents and grandparents. Super spreader.  

@SharkE   I've seen many adults on the beach, at bars, taking vacations, etc. I think we ALL need to step back and take a look at what we're doing that's not helping this situation. 

Yep, if your not part of the solution your part of the problem.

We already have the vaccine and the military is gonna roll it out soon, so,

think this nightmare is about over. No more hoarding, shortages, mask wearing, etc.   Poor hospitals can get back to normal, funeral homes, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

How about everyone just does his or her part?

Maybe kids don't sacrifice for old people much today, but I don't see many old people sacrificing for the young people either.

My grandmother would not have wanted me to give up my education, to give up dating to find a spouse, or give up working in my early career (which would sabotage my future earnings), just to protect her, when she could do a fine job of that just by staying home herself.

It seems remarkably selfish and disingenuous to complain about how others aren't doing enough for you.  It's true for kids and it's true for seniors.

Character is revealed when people are under duress and I don't see much courage or sacrifice on either side of the generation gap.

Perfectly said!  We all want the same outcome, how do we get there ? 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Pook wrote:

On Veteran's day one of my SO's relatives was bragging about the sacrifices made by members of the family posting pictures of family members who served in WW11, Korean War, Vietnam war and females in the family who volunteered to work in factories during the war and voluntarily gave back their gas coupons for the military but yet she says she is not going to stop living to help curb this virus and help save lives!!!  This is an era of so many selfish people who only want what they want.  While I can understand people wanting their kids not to have the struggles they did but many are not enforcing core values and as a result it appears each generation is creating more and more it's all about me people!!!

@Pook   It's just not the kids. The adults are partying and going to group gatherings, protests w/o masks as well.

It's just not the young!  Each generation is farther and farther removed from the core values that those that freely sacrificed for the good of all as in the past.  Sure there were selfish thinking people way back who never sacrificed for the good of all during wars but it's out of control now!!  My SO's relative that I spoke of is 65.

Respected Contributor

Sadly, this winter hospitals will fill and we will see mobile morgues outside them with our very own eyes.  I think that will sober the anti-science people up.

Esteemed Contributor

We already saw the makeshift morgues in the spring. We still couldn't come together.

Respected Contributor

There will always be a few who would not sacrifice for any cause, but they will become fewer and fewer.

Respected Contributor

It's like my mother said (who btw, wears her mask & rarely goes out), how will we get through this if only SOME people follow the rules?  Some wear masks, social distance and some don't.   I must say I was taken aback by a co-worker of mine. She's in her mid-50's like me, and she was telling me what she did last weekend. She went out of town and shopped and the good time she had. She then said to me, "You know, I'm just done with all this! I'm done staying home and if I get it then I get it."   Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze,_MMA-NYC,_1851.jpg

. . . we can do this.

cartoon-female-and-male-social-distancing-vector-1024x576.jpg

Can't we?

@noodleann 

Not much offends me, but this is a first, and it sure as heck does. I see pre school age cartoons by some trolls on fb, but here? 

To choose this picture as some sort of prop! I'll quit here before I.  🤬

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)