Honored Contributor

Re: If there is only land, no homes etc would you stop

[ Edited ]

I will take seed pods, but not the flowers....in semi-public places; i.e., the cemetery, library, outside the mall, etc.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

WHAT on earth?  I have no idea what you are talking about in the UK and girls...............cough...............I went out of town today and passed a field and stopped and got two iris'.  Deep purple.............If I have a question aobut something happening or in the news I will address that I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't have news and I hate reading it on the computer so I have no idea what is going on in the world since October.

SEriously?????

Esteemed Contributor

I'll occasionally pick a queen anne's lace or a sprig of chicory from the roadside (state road that I live off of).  Neither is in danger of becoming extinct - and I say that in all seriousness, as some are.

I enjoy and take pride in my own personal gardens, on my own personal property, and I sometimes think how devastating it would be to me for someone to raze the flowers that I keep, mostly for support of the eco system, but a byproduct is, they are beautiful to behold.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

No, I would not pick wildflowers.

I don't have that right, and I would not assume that I did.

I guess some people just feel entitled, and decency be dammed.

I swear, some people don't have the sense that G-d gave a goose sometimes.

Honored Contributor

Trespassing is trespassing, whether you can see the owner's home or not. Good way to get shot.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think OP is talking about BLM  (open land)  and places like that.

Honored Contributor

Yes, i have done this  it has been years ,but call me guilty .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Living in the country I would highly recommend people don't do this. 

Some places, country folks are kind, generous and giving. Other places, they are very isolated, territorial and suspicious. Unless you know for sure which kind of people's land you are trespassing on, I'd stop at the florist or plant your own flowers.

Someone owns that land you are on, and may or may not welcome you there. And they have every right to not welcome you, even on the fringes of it. 

People don't realize the drug operations that are in rural areas, and might you be trespassing on that? Could be deadly. People don't realize that 'moonshiners' still exist and will put some lead in your backside for snooping around. And then there are just plain old folks that pay a lot of money (and taxes) for land and want their privacy and to not be liable for people getting hurt on their property, so will not be happy for you picking their flowers or weeds or anything else. 

I was raised to not be places that I don't belong, and I don't belong on private property of those I don't know or those I haven't gotten permission from to be there. It is rude at least and dangerous at best.

Honored Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

It could be city land and our taxes help pay anyway the owners could be passed the children gone out of state someone is not taking care of it and flowers need to be taken care of and I see nothing wrong with it.

You can't rely on assumptions like this. Land is owned by someone or some entity. Unless you have permission, you are trespassing and stealing. Even public lands (like along interstates or the first few feet into a property along roads) may have laws where removing the vegetation is illegal.

Honored Contributor

@cody2 wrote:

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

WHAT on earth?  I have no idea what you are talking about in the UK and girls...............cough...............I went out of town today and passed a field and stopped and got two iris'.  Deep purple.............If I have a question aobut something happening or in the news I will address that I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't have news and I hate reading it on the computer so I have no idea what is going on in the world since October.

I live in the country and people regularly drive on my property...even cut fences and come in to fish in our ponds. In doing so, they endanger our cows which can now get out on the county road and cause an accident which I would be liable for. If I caught you on my land picking flowers I would politely drive up, get out of my truck and do what I always do in this instance. I would ask you one question. The question is this. What if I drove up in your driveway, walked in your house, went to your fridge and got a drink, sat on your couch and turned on your tv? Would that be ok? Nope. I think not. And if you are trying to avoid the news...the internet is not a good place to be. No? Cough.

@cody2

We live rural too, and have a pond right by the road. You wouldn't believe the number of people who thought they could just drop a fishing line in and help themselves. We had a real battle on our hands those first few years. 

It is a huge liability, owning land and water. We pay a lot of taxes on this property, we spend a lot of time and money to stock and maintain the pond and people think it is a public park or something. Simply crazy!

The sense of entitlement these days goes way beyond anything I ever imagined as a child. We weren't even allowed to walk on the neighbors yards! What people think is ok to do today simply amazes me!