Trusted Contributor

Re: If there is only land, no homes etc would you stop

WHAT on earth?  I have no idea what you are talking about in the UK and girls...............cough...............I went out of town today and passed a field and stopped and got two iris'.  Deep purple.............If I have a question aobut something happening or in the news I will address that I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't have news and I hate reading it on the computer so I have no idea what is going on in the world since October.

Trusted Contributor

UGH  not in my town   Now you can't pick the blue bonnets in Texas but I have never seen a blue bonnet in person.

Honored Contributor

No, I wouldn't pick a beautiful flower on someone else's land.  I often see beautiful flowers when I walk, but whether there's a house nearby or not, I know it's not my land and the flora is not mine to disturb.

You can't justify it by saying they might be on city land or the owners have passed, etc.; you can't know that.  What you do know is they're not yours.  And also, you feel free to pick "one or two", then someone else feels the same, and someone else?

I live in a rural area and many landowners plant flowers at the edge of their property (along the roadside, if you will).  That doesn't mean they expect people to stop and help themselves. 

If I want flowers in my home, I buy them. 

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@DowntonAbbey   Yes, I would stop.  It sounds like the flowers are wild and not "planted" by someone of their property.  Even it they were planted, I think they would be okay with your picking a flower.

Without asking the owner's permission?  I don't think so!  I'd certainly say something, if I saw someone doing that on my property.

Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

WHAT on earth?  I have no idea what you are talking about in the UK and girls...............cough...............I went out of town today and passed a field and stopped and got two iris'.  Deep purple.............If I have a question aobut something happening or in the news I will address that I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't have news and I hate reading it on the computer so I have no idea what is going on in the world since October.

I live in the country and people regularly drive on my property...even cut fences and come in to fish in our ponds. In doing so, they endanger our cows which can now get out on the county road and cause an accident which I would be liable for. If I caught you on my land picking flowers I would politely drive up, get out of my truck and do what I always do in this instance. I would ask you one question. The question is this. What if I drove up in your driveway, walked in your house, went to your fridge and got a drink, sat on your couch and turned on your tv? Would that be ok? Nope. I think not. And if you are trying to avoid the news...the internet is not a good place to be. No? Cough.
Honored Contributor

@cody2 - I had the same thought:  would it be okay if someone was to walk on to another person's lawn and help themselves to some beautiful flowers?

I know the OP was talking about land without a house in sight, but to me it's the same thing.  Someone else's property and that's trespassing.

Where I am we've had problems with hunters coming onto our posted land.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened in the past few years, but it's unpleasant, to say the least.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@DowntonAbbey:

Is this in response to the recent UK thing with the little girls and their dad?

Google it if you're interested.

BTW, I think one (or even a few) is OK as long as someone's not trespassing.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/27/police-officer-confiscates-daffodils-from-schoolgirls-picking-them-for...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@cody2 - I had the same thought:  would it be okay if someone was to walk on to another person's lawn and help themselves to some beautiful flowers?

I know the OP was talking about land without a house in sight, but to me it's the same thing.  Someone else's property and that's trespassing.

Where I am we've had problems with hunters coming onto our posted land.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened in the past few years, but it's unpleasant, to say the least.

Our houses are a mile off of the county road. We have fences and Private Property signs and still folks think they can just go for a ride in the country and do as they please on private property. When they start paying our taxes, lol, then we can talk. We have had farm equipment stolen, our tack room with all our saddles and tack stolen, our shop broken into and numerous other incidents. We even drove up to a group of men who were hunting on our land one time and told them to leave. When we turned to get back in our truck...they fired a shot in our direction. We hit the ground. I guess this is a touchy subject for me. And yes, we enjoy our wildflowers where they grow...on the hills.
Esteemed Contributor

NO I would never stop and pick flowers on someone's property! But that might be because I know plenty of city people who have bought undeveloped property in the north woods, or property with just "hunting cabins" they use for weekend getaways.

And do they tell stories about finding people (like you?) wandering around their acreage, collecting flowers, digging up roots and bulbs, trampling young growth they planted on their last trip.

It's never the locals trespassing.

Honored Contributor

If a single woman is traveling alone in a remote area, stopping, getting out of the safety of her car to pick a flower may not be the smartest thing she's ever done.  She is immediately at the mercy of any other motorist who happens to see her and also stops.  Next thing you know, her car is found abandoned and she's never seen or heard from again.  If a woman has car trouble in such a place, police always say to stay locked in your car and wait for help.  

Now, would you stop?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment