Honored Contributor

Re: If someone is on Social Security Disability.....

@hckynut 

I have been retired long enough that I am sure I have used up my contributions to the fund.  I was curious because if I receive any money I am going to donate to help the people that are really suffering since I don't need it.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

They seem to be making it up as they go along. I don't trust them not to claw this back in 2021. I won't be filing. 

@noodleann

I would suggest you go online to a reliable source and read this package. A Google search would do the job. 

No, I have enough to deal with. I don't trust anything about the way this is going down, from masks to the tests to the duration to the funds--nothing. I'm not going to waste trust on what I read today, knowing it's likely to change tomorrow. That way lies madness, or at least demoralization. Nothing is certain, except the 18 rolls of Angel Soft in my car.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann   Since our government is operating in the deficit, the money is undoubtedly being borrowed, probably from China.  The can hardly sneak 2 trillion out if the Social Security or other trust fund (usual tactic) since there's not that much there.  No, don't think this was DEPOSITED from our earnings.  We surely didn't earn it.  Write your senator and ask about the funding.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you have already filed your tax return for 2019, the gov. will use this information to calculate your stimulus payment and either direct deposit the payment or mail you a check. If you have not filed your return for 2019, they will use the information from your 2018 return. It is automatic. You don't file anything else. If you have not filed a return for 2019 or 2018  because you were not required to file I think they are working on something for this but the information is not available for now.  What I am just hearing on the news is that it is best to file a 1040 EZ to get your stimulus payment even if you are not required by law do file a return. And they say they say the stimulus is not taxable for 2020 taxes. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@noodleann   Since our government is operating in the deficit, the money is undoubtedly being borrowed, probably from China.  The can hardly sneak 2 trillion out if the Social Security or other trust fund (usual tactic) since there's not that much there. 

There's always....

Fort Knox tank.jpgwhich as of 2018 the stored gold bars are worth $6,221,097,412.78. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

We normally pay our property taxes out of the RMD we are required to take out of my inherited IRA's each year. Since that money (IRA's) is quickly disappearing, next year's RMD will be very small. So we will be using our stimulus checks to pay our 2020 property taxes. 

I earned the money, I gave it to the government, the government is now going to give me a little bit of money back, and I will then send it back to the government 

Makes sense, right? Ha!!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@noodleann   Since our government is operating in the deficit, the money is undoubtedly being borrowed, probably from China.  The can hardly sneak 2 trillion out if the Social Security or other trust fund (usual tactic) since there's not that much there.  No, don't think this was DEPOSITED from our earnings.  We surely didn't earn it.  Write your senator and ask about the funding.

Nope, not doing it and not going there. As I said, I'm not trusting these jokers, and I certainly wouldn't trust a senator to know the facts or tell me the truth if he or she did. That money was taken from me for a purpose, and now I'm getting it back, and that's enough for me to know. I paid then, I get now. Not an entitlement.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

Giving me money, you are acting like our checks are thousands of dollars per month, people who are on SSDI worked and earned the small bit of money they receive evry month

@DiAnne wrote:

Are people on social security or disability getting this check?  That doesn't seem right to me because the government is already giving them money (I am including myself). 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@noodleann  I read somewhere in the NY Times that this is a "loan" and not a gift and the amount will have to be reported on next year's income tax.  Have seen no confirmation of this anywhere.  

You don't have to "file" anything.  The payment will be automatic.

No, I'd have to file, according to what's in the link to the IRS website, meaning I won't get it if I don't submit something. So will anyone else on SS or SSDI who didn't file taxes for 2018 or 2019, from what I read. Not doing that so no problem for me, now or down the road, at least with respect to that.

This is not necessarily the case. There is talk that the govt. will use information from Social Security to send the stimulus money to SS recipients even if they do not file a tax return. If your only income is from SS and you are not required to file a return I am not sure why you would not want the $1200. If it shows up in your bank account are you going to return it?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is worth reading. It was in the Washington Post

April 1, 2020. I don't think it's an April Fools entry. It's legit and it's relevant. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/01/bailout-checks-social-security/?

here is an UPDATE from the same source, next day:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/01/bailout-checks-social-security/