Honored Contributor

Re: If a Business Is Still Closed at This Point, It's Unlikely to Make a Comeback

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@golding76 @Porcelain as an aside....my husband went to the doctor today and was prescribed zoloft for depression.  

For sure get that 90-day mail prescription set up. Woman Wink

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad he got a needed med. Whatever it takes (as long as it's legal and ethical) to get through, just do it. If wacky tobacky were legal in my area, which it is not, and even though I'm a pretty straight arrow person, these days I could be tempted to make myself an "In case of emergency break glass" magic cigarette.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: If a Business Is Still Closed at This Point, It's Unlikely to Make a Comeback

All of us want our old life back, germanshepherd.  It is getting tough to keep on keeping on, but we have to.

Yes, the agony of being fearful of every piece of fruit, or package of meat, or unknown person in the yard is punishing.  It sounds ridiculous, but it is the truth.

Valued Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@golding76 @Porcelain as an aside....my husband went to the doctor today and was prescribed zoloft for depression.  

For sure get that 90-day mail prescription set up. Woman Wink

In all seriousness, though, I'm glad he got a needed med. Whatever it takes (as long as it's legal and ethical) to get through, just do it. If wacky tobacky were legal in my area, which it is not, and even though I'm a pretty straight arrow person, these days I could be tempted to make myself an "In case of emergency break glass" magic cigarette.

@Porcelain it's legal here and you're not going to believe this. He took 1 gummie and instead of calming him it caused his tinnitus to ring louder.  I wish it wasn't so. Now, we have a bunch of uneaten gummies sitting in our cupboard and I won't touch them....too scared.  I don't have tinnitus and don't want it, not that it would necessarily give it to someone who never had it but...such is our life right now.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I am so sorry, germanshepherd, about your husband.  I spoke with a therapist yesterday who said that he has (as has his field) noted that we have now entered a period of depression about what is going on in our land.

Before, when we all bit the bullet for the 4-6 weeks, we thought we would emerge into our old life.  Now we see parts of the country virally on fire, know that someone can reseed our area if they come into it and, consequently, feel damned to vulnerability.

It is no laughing matter. 

I thought people would have lasting immunity. Finding out it only lasts a few months really crushed me. Finding out people have already gotten Covid twice freaked me out. And I do not linger on news sites or tv channels. I dip in and dip out. The actual real news is not positive due to reality. That many sources from all over the world can't all be lying.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

If everywhere had actually followed their own reopening plans instead of posting the plans but then going wild and ignoring the specifics and not pulling back as they had said they would, some of these businesses could have been saved. Some. This is a disaster that began out of our control, but our response has turned it into the true tragedy we are in the middle of. Canada and Mexico are looking at us like they don't know us anymore.

MLB can't even protect its own players from Covid and we are about to have school children exposed in schools across the country, to bring it back home to their families just like they bring home ear infections and colds and "the crud" we are all familiar with. So the worst is nowhere near over. We need to not panic but we do need to prepare as individuals.

No one is coming to save us. I thought at first that of course the authorities would help with such a crucial and important disaster because, if nothing else, it would be in their interests financially to prevent people from catching a pandemic disease. I thought it would be obvious to even the most cold of them that Covid spread wide would destroy the economy and hurt their pocketbooks.

I was wrong. I feel awful I was so wrong. I told people to just hold on and that it would be okay. We have to hold on as individuals and we have to be okay emotionally. We can be strong and okay emotionally. But externally, no we are not going to be okay. Prioritize what is most important to you and hold onto it.

@Porcelain 

Thank you for stating the obvious. Why anyone feels one person should have been in control is ludicrous. While no fan, it's just a cheap shot at the blame game. Our Governors (ALL OF THEM) were given the task at hand to reopen their states incrementally as they met benchmarks set forth by the CDC.  Did they do that? No. 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

If everywhere had actually followed their own reopening plans instead of posting the plans but then going wild and ignoring the specifics and not pulling back as they had said they would, some of these businesses could have been saved. Some. This is a disaster that began out of our control, but our response has turned it into the true tragedy we are in the middle of. Canada and Mexico are looking at us like they don't know us anymore.

MLB can't even protect its own players from Covid and we are about to have school children exposed in schools across the country, to bring it back home to their families just like they bring home ear infections and colds and "the crud" we are all familiar with. So the worst is nowhere near over. We need to not panic but we do need to prepare as individuals.

No one is coming to save us. I thought at first that of course the authorities would help with such a crucial and important disaster because, if nothing else, it would be in their interests financially to prevent people from catching a pandemic disease. I thought it would be obvious to even the most cold of them that Covid spread wide would destroy the economy and hurt their pocketbooks.

I was wrong. I feel awful I was so wrong. I told people to just hold on and that it would be okay. We have to hold on as individuals and we have to be okay emotionally. We can be strong and okay emotionally. But externally, no we are not going to be okay. Prioritize what is most important to you and hold onto it.

@Porcelain 

Thank you for stating the obvious. Why anyone feels one person should have been in control is ludicrous. While no fan, it's just a cheap shot at the blame game. Our Governors (ALL OF THEM) were given the task at hand to reopen their states incrementally as they met benchmarks set forth by the CDC.  Did they do that? No. 

I believe many of our Governors are to blame 

Let's put the blame where it belongs. 

I don't care about blame nearly as much as I care about what we are doing to fight it right now. And we've given up. People are doing whatever they want and trying to act like nothing is going on. We're going to find out what happens when all of us get this disease repeatedly. The decision has been made for us. Go behave as if all is normal and get the disease. And hopefully you will survive each time you get it. And you are on your own with all the expenses and problems that come with that. No one cares except you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

I believe many of our Governors are to blame 

Let's put the blame where it belongs. 

I don't care about blame nearly as much as I care about what we are doing to fight it right now. And we've given up. People are doing whatever they want and trying to act like nothing is going on. We're going to find out what happens when all of us get this disease repeatedly. The decision has been made for us. Go behave as if all is normal and get the disease. And hopefully you will survive each time you get it. And you are on your own with all the expenses and problems that come with that. No one cares except you.

@Porcelain You are optimistic when you say we will get the disease repeatedly. Many of us will probably die before that. 😢

Honored Contributor

Porcelain,

Thank you for including our newly discovered truth that there is no lasting immunity to this disease.  Of course that is dragging down our national mood.  Really, did the devil dream up this particular virus?

And yes, my thought on any doubting of how the U.S. is proceeding and the error of its ways mirrors yours:  The rest of the world and their assessment of how we handled this virus cannot be wrong.

So, we have handled it poorly so far.  What next?  To do it better!  How many times must we be sent back to this "purgatory"?  Until all of us participate in short-term self-denial of immediate pleasures for the greater good of a long-term goal, that of returning to normalcy.  

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 

So many places are ghosttowns for this period.  A story in the NY Times reported that a Sabrett hotdog cart in midtown Manhattan on Fifth Avenue sold only ten hotdogs the day of the story, which was about a week ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember when Andy Cohen interviewed Tom Colicho on WWHL and Tom told him 85% of the restaurants would close. He said 6 million people would be without work. He said they were trying to get 120 billion dollars from the Government. 

It is not a big surprise when a business stays closed with no foreseeable income. I heard that many employees thought they would still have jobs to go back to after everything was ok. Now about 78% think just the opposite. It is sad.

I still do my own grocery shopping and visit malls. I can say it is heart breaking to see what is happening in the real world. The stores are practically empty but the sales are great. I live alone and am in my early seventies. I refuse to give up on living. The virus is bad but so is giving up. This is the way I choose to live my life. I know everything is different now but we shouldn't throw in the towel.