Honored Contributor

I am not a mom so I don't expect a Mother's Day gift from my DH.  However, I know many who have young kids so the spouse picks out the gift from the kids, just like the mom does for Father's Day.

I don't see anything wrong with gifts being given from a spouse on Mother's Day as a recognition of the person being a great mother to their children.  I think it's a very kind gesture. 

Honored Contributor

I would never hurt my husband like that.  I have a lot of jewelry but there's always room for another piece.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I don't do occasion/expected/required gifts. To me, it's an obligation, like paying a bill. We do, saw something I thought you'd like, surprise gifts. They can be expensive or just a couple of dollars. 

Respected Contributor

I think everyone will have a different answer based on financial situations. And some people, oddly enough, don't even like jewelry.

IF money was not an issue, AND I wanted something, of course.

Super Contributor

I personally would turn it down, it's the finding and picking out by DH that would make it special to me.  When we got engaged I didn't want an engagement ring, thought why spend the money when it could go to much better use.

Fast forward to 2019 and a 10 day cruise to the southern carribe and those who cruise all know the jewelry store located within the ship.  Yep, got hook line and sinkered into buying a crown of light diamond.  It's a perfect stone, 1.55 carats and if I purchased an ordinary diamond my finger would not hold such a weight for the cost of the crown of light.  Oh well, it is what it is, we were celebrating our 40th anniversay and got caught up in the moment but it's a nice memory of our trip.  Certainly made up for the 45 years being together and being frugal all the time.  

Trusted Contributor

Our neighbor guy bought his wife a new manual lawn mower for her Mother's Day gift, she was perfectly happy.  Whatever floats your boat.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@rms1954 My late DH knew I didn't care much for jewelry. Had a few pieces but nothing expensive -- my choice. He DID know of my love of cross stitching and one year he bought me an XS stand I'd been lusting after at my local shop. 

I had taken him there a couple of times after all my years of talking about it as he wanted to see it. That's when I showed him that  stand. My next birthday he surprised me with it.

One of the best gifts EVER and it lasted for years.

I know this is off topic of jewelry but it's such a lovely memory...

That's such a nice memory @Love my grandkids .  I took up cross stitching again last summer after not doing it for many years.  I loved it.  I was thinking about buying a cross stitch stand when I started having  neck issues (osteoarthritis) and wasn't able to do it anymore.  I still have an unfinished piece and a piece I haven't started.  I would love to be able to finish them.  

I have arthritic fingers that are painful.  I still like to knit or embroider simple items.  I work on a project for 20 minutes d day, sometimes twice a day.  It may take me a bit to finish a project but it's enjoyable. @Nicknack

Esteemed Contributor

If my husband took me to jewelry store told me to have at it, I would be totally offended.

For me it is tasteless and lazy.  JMO

Trusted Contributor

My hubby would be hurt if I turned him down.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

Re: If Your Husband

[ Edited ]

DH and I never recognize special occasions with a gift anymore--not since the first year or two of our marriage.

I tried buying him some ties once .  A friend of his at a party we were attending said the tie was ugly and  cut it off him with scissors! 

I said NO MORE  to buying this dude anything!!

Nor do I like DH buying anything for me.  I've always bought whatever I want (within my own mental money limit, of course) when I see it at any time of the year and for any reason.

DH does the same thing.  Sometimes I think he's wasted money on his purchases, and sometimes he thinks I've wasted on mine.  

It works for us, though. No more surprise gifts we don't want.  LOL!!

His early Christmas gifts to me were very nice when we first started dating.  I had no TV in my apartment and no wristwatch, and he surprised me with both of them.  He was considerably older than I  and had a great-paying job..  A little odd, when I think back on it, because his well-known nickname has always been "Save-a-Dime".

Once I started making some real money, I put a stop to gifts from him.........and to him after that tie-cutting incident.