Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've wanted a pair of round solitare stud diamond earring for a very long time and my husband will always say, go get them....go pick them out.  But I don't.  I would feel guilty because they are so expensive and that money can't be spent on the house (something is always in need of repair), or a family vacation or even just putting it in the bank.  

@ScrapHappy 

I highly recommend you buying a CZ pair with 14k gold posts. Not expensive and they look exactly like the real thing 

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@rms1954 My late DH knew I didn't care much for jewelry. Had a few pieces but nothing expensive -- my choice. He DID know of my love of cross stitching and one year he bought me an XS stand I'd been lusting after at my local shop. 

I had taken him there a couple of times after all my years of talking about it as he wanted to see it. That's when I showed him that  stand. My next birthday he surprised me with it.

One of the best gifts EVER and it lasted for years.

I know this is off topic of jewelry but it's such a lovely memory...

That's such a nice memory @Love my grandkids .  I took up cross stitching again last summer after not doing it for many years.  I loved it.  I was thinking about buying a cross stitch stand when I started having  neck issues (osteoarthritis) and wasn't able to do it anymore.  I still have an unfinished piece and a piece I haven't started.  I would love to be able to finish them.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I think it very nice of a husband to be thinking of a Mother's Day gift for his wife.  Mine got me a much needed new bird bath for my garden this year. I get him a gift for Dad's Day also. He would like new golf shoes so that is what he will be getting from me.  The kids also get us gifts for the day, make us dinner.  No reason not to exchange gifts just because they are a spouse. 

Oh, and I could find a pretty pair of earrings in the jewelry store too!

Esteemed Contributor

Mine did for my birthday. I have all the jewelry and clothes that I could ever need and used. What I said I wanted to do was take the money he was going to buy me a gift with, and donated to the local animal rescue groups. There are two in particular near me that you fantastic work, and that's where my birthday money could do the most good.

Honored Contributor

My DH purchased an expensive crossbody bag for me...not necessarily Mother's day since I had chosen it months ago. I really don't depend or expect anyone to give me gifts.

Jewelry? Been selling what the kids don't want and I no longer wear. I certainly would not purchase any more.

Trusted Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Mine did for my birthday. I have all the jewelry and clothes that I could ever need and used. What I said I wanted to do was take the money he was going to buy me a gift with, and donated to the local animal rescue groups. There are two in particular near me that you fantastic work, and that's where my birthday money could do the most good.

@Effie54   What a kind and loving thing to do!

Honored Contributor

@rms1954    yes, at this point in my life at age 66, I do not desire jewelery anymore. I would tell him LETS GO TO HOME DEPOT AND PICK OUT A NEW STOVE. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@rms1954    yes, at this point in my life at age 66, I do not desire jewelery anymore. I would tell him LETS GO TO HOME DEPOT AND PICK OUT A NEW STOVE. 

This!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I do not expect anything from my husband on Mothers Day.  I am not his mother.  

But for gifts for BD, Xmas I prefer picking out my own gift.  I get what I really want that way and we are both happy.

I have read that comment about not being my husband's mom often on the forums over the years. When I asked my husband what he thought of it? He said to me "You are the mother of my children and I would be a fool not to recognize that on Mother's Day." I think I will keep him.🥰🥰🥰💕

Honored Contributor

While I am sure that I could find something I really loved, I would say" No Thanks-lets add that to our retirement fund, as we both are looking to retire in the next few years!!!