Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Won a Million Dollars, Would You Leave?

No.  I married my best friend.  We would simply find a way to share with our family.

Respected Contributor

No way! My husband is worth more to me than any amount of money. ❤️

Honored Contributor

Interesting since I plan on winning the Mega Million tomorrow...lol!!

I don't need millions ... I was taught by my father "never depend on a man (or your spouse) to support you".  We never had joint account until we retired & boy, that has caused some issues🙄🤬

But I do need a million because I'd move back to my home state because to live there you need to have $$$ cost of living is so expensive when one is retired!!!

Respected Contributor

She should be asking if you would leave for $5,000,000, due to inflation.

My answer would still be NO.

Honored Contributor

I’m married to my best friend so no I wouldn’t leave my marriage for any amount of money. 💑

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was an interesting thread. Many posters are truly in love and married for the right reasons. For those finding themselves in an unhappy marriage, I've never understood why stay? If you made a mistake, get out immediately and cut your losses! Life is too short for regrets and lack of true happiness. The poster who admitted to marrying for financial security doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is her constant bragging of how independent she has always been. What a pathetic life she chose to live.

Waiting for a million dollars wouldn't keep me anywhere if we weren't happy! I would have left without a thought of money. I'm confident enough to take care of myself and my son through anything. Happiness is the best reward. In our marriage, we never came close. 

By marrying for financial security that poster has cheated herself (and husband) out of the most basic need: giving and receiving love. No wonder she lacks emotion, empathy and compassion. It must be a very lonely existance without ever knowing a deep intimate love without any strings attached. She also has never proved to herself what she is capable of doing on her own. That must be a terrifying thought at this stage in life.

How does one "train" a husband (or anyone else) like a pet? A marriage isn't based on honesty, love and mutual respect if one plays tricks to get their way. Thought her comments when marrying her first husband ("with reservations") were strange, but she was very young. Now wondering if that was also for financial security. He must have been much older to have a ready-made family. That would have been a huge red-flag to most young females who would have wondered why he wasn't dating someone age appropriate to be a step-mother to his children. 

No amount of money could have swayed me into marrying someone who hadn't become my best friend; then whom I really liked and fell wildly, crazy-in-love with and shared hopes and dreams for a lifetime together. Anything else is beyond my comprehension. Death is the only thing that left me alone. No regrets. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

You can hardly find a home here in California for under a million, so no.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twin Sister, successful realtor. When it came to money in the marriage she made sure, separate accounts. Documented money, she brought into marriage.

She was smart having a contract before entering the marriage. In her case believe she stayed hoping things would change. They didn't hate each other.

Not having children was always bigger picture, he wanted them she didn't.  Interestingly they had the discussion before marriage. So there you have it.

He went on to marry a much younger woman, they have two children.

Twin speaks of him with no resentment. In fact! She's never been happier. 

Honored Contributor

I know by today's standards a million is really not a ton of money, but it would be a lot to me!  As for leaving, no --- I would retire from work though --- immediately!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

ABSOLUTELY!!