Trusted Contributor

If You Won a Million Dollars, Would You Leave?

Good afternoon everyone,

I don't know if you're familiar with Dr. Joy Browne, RIP. She was a psychologist on WOR710 here in the NYC area who I listened to from 1999 to 2012. Whenever someone called and they sounded iffy about their relationship, she'd ask "If you won a million dollars, would you leave?" Do you think think this is a good way to gauge whether or not someone is in the relationship for the right reasons?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: If You Won a Million Dollars, Would You Leave?

No.

Honored Contributor

No but we would move. 

Esteemed Contributor

Guessing the question is to gauge how much the relationship depends on monetary needs.  But after taxes and splitting the money with your spouse the million dollars would be significantly less.  

Esteemed Contributor

Don't know.  Hasn't happened but I do love my husband, so I guess, no.

In a former relationship I probably would have.  I loved him too but I also needed financial support.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

For people in a bad relationship, it would be an intersting question to think about.  If they are in a solid relationship, the answer to the question would be NO.  But, if they ponder the question, it might be time to get out.  It's one benchmark, many other things need to be considered.

Honored Contributor

Not me!

But I would PAY a million dollars to keep mine!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

It seems like a strange way to guage a relationship.  Does she mean it to be more metaphorical such as believing money will solve many of our problems.  Money can be such a huge stress in many relationships.

Honored Contributor

Not sure I see a correlation between marital happiness and money. A large sum of money might cause me to buy a lakefront home, but only if my husband wanted it too.

Honored Contributor

For some reason the question bothers me. There is an implication that women "stay" in a bad relationship because of money. In today's day and age women do not need to stay for financial reasons. Often times they make more than their spouse.

Would I leave if I won a million? Absolutely not. I love my husband. Beside the fact that 1 million dollars isn't all that much in the New York area...