Trusted Contributor

Re: If You Won a Million Dollars, Would You Leave?

I'm happy to hear that many of you are in strong, committed relationships. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I recall back in the caveman era when I took psych in nursing school learning that many more women get married for money and security or to get away from abusive fathers than for love. Also men tend more to get married  for someone to care for them or for sex than for love.Men & women often get married because they want children or just because they are lonely. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of that has changed as our society views marriage differently now than in 1966, but the fact is none of those seem like good enough reasons to get married.

Honored Contributor

Why are we so quick to assume that it is the woman who would leave?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I didn't really take the question as saying the woman was relying on the man for financial support.  (I also thought more a boyfriend/girlfriend thing and not marriage.)  Just that if you won a million dollars and were able to make some significant changes in your life, would the other person still be in it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:

Some people become complacent. They move in together to save money, may even buy a house and before they know it, they are pretty tangled up with this person. A million dollars would help to get out of that situation. 

Were these people in a loving, devoted relationship before they moved in together and bought a house?

Respected Contributor

@Bri63 wrote:

That’s a weird question 

I wouldn’t leave him if we had penny left.   If we won a million, enjoying it with him would be the priceless. 

I don't think she meant if you (literally) had one million dollars.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Good afternoon everyone,

I don't know if you're familiar with Dr. Joy Browne, RIP. She was a psychologist on WOR710 here in the NYC area who I listened to from 1999 to 2012. Whenever someone called and they sounded iffy about their relationship, she'd ask "If you won a million dollars, would you leave?" Do you think think this is a good way to gauge whether or not someone is in the relationship for the right reasons?

@JBKO  Question sounds very anti-women as if we’re in relationships for financial support. If I wanted/needed to leave, for any reason, I wouldn’t consider money in my equation of pros and cons. 

Honored Contributor

No, and that thought wouldn’t even cross my mind.   We would also continue living in this house, but I would offer my trashy trailer neighbors enough money to sell me that land so it would be in my family again.   

Honored Contributor

@JBKO     @Trinity11

Based on what I'm reading here, a LOT of people would be surprised by the actual statistics .........  same applies for men and women.

When the economy is down, the divorce rate DROPS.  People worry about the practical things like could I get a better job, keep my job, could we sell the house for a profit, etc etc.  Being short on cash means a lot of people feel "stuck" and unable to leave.  They are biding their time.

When the economy is doing well, the divorce rate INCREASES.  People think they could support their own household, get (or keep) a good job, sell the house for a profit .... and all those other important financial considerations.

When someone comes into a large sum of money, they tend to re-evaluate everything and think abut what they would like to change.   Totally a normal thing to do.   You see it all the time with movie stars and corporate executives, among others.   

Oftentimes, a person has been wanting to leave for a long time .... and was waiting for the right moment to do so.   The money makes it the "right moment".  

Happens all the time.