Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Saw A baby left alone in a hot car.....

Absolutely nothing.  I don't want to be sued by the owner of the vehicle for any property damage or them saying the child was hurt from breaking a window, etc.   I would call the police and let them handle it. People sue today on a drop of a hat.  This isn't any different.

Respected Contributor

break the window,then call 911..same thing if it were an animal...

Super Contributor

I have a Life Hammer in my car; it's been in there for several years.  The original reason for my purchasing it was to escape from my car in the event of flooding or fire.  But now, I would also use it if necessary to free a baby or a pet left alone inside a hot car.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MissRose722 wrote:

I have a Life Hammer in my car; it's been in there for several years.  The original reason for my purchasing it was to escape from my car in the event of flooding or fire.  But now, I would also use it if necessary to free a baby or a pet left alone inside a hot car.

I have one too...never tested it out though, would hope that it worked as advertised.  

The problem with a baby left in the car is if they're not crying because they're too debilitated then I wouldn't know they were in there.  Many cars out here have dark tinted windows or are rather large vehicles that are not easy to look into at all.  It saddens me to think that parents and/or guardians are still being so careless to those poor helpless babies.  

Regular Contributor

If an animal or child was in an unattended car in hot weather and appeared to be in SEVERE distress, I'd drop my purse, I get my hammer out of SUV and slam the front window out to rescue immediately, then call police. I wouldn't hesitate and not care about any consequences. Otherwise, I would call police first and remain by car for instructions and or their arrival. In my heart, I would want pet owner or parent be placed in hot car for a period of time. But life doesn't seem to work that way.  

Honored Contributor

I would probably be calling it in (911) as I was breaking the window.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

I would call the police and wait for them to come out to the car.

Regular Contributor

Call 911 first so they can be on the way then break the window pray the child is ok hope the police is around because when the parent/parents showed up they will have to hold me back from hurting them. 

This is seems to be happening more and more I just don't know how you can go off and forget a child is in the car the cynical me in some of those cases I think is deliberate. 

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bjjo wrote:

If an animal or child was in an unattended car in hot weather and appeared to be in SEVERE distress, I'd drop my purse, I get my hammer out of SUV and slam the front window out to rescue immediately, then call police. I wouldn't hesitate and not care about any consequences. Otherwise, I would call police first and remain by car for instructions and or their arrival. In my heart, I would want pet owner or parent be placed in hot car for a period of time. But life doesn't seem to work that way.  

I watched a police man demonstrate last night on TV how to break a car window.

First, do not break the window near where the child is sitting as they may get hurt by broken glass...so go around to the other side of the car. Use a tire iron, hammer, or some other metal object and hit the window on the lower front corner of the window---not in the middle of the glass where it is the strongest. The policeman whacked the car in the lower corner with the crow bar and the glass immediately shattered.  Then remove the shattered glass from the top down. Don't wait for the police to arrive as death can occur rapidly in these heated cars---even minutes can make a difference as they demonstrated on TV.

They showed a small hammer type device called a "window punch" you can buy at Home Depot and keep in the trunk of your car.  It had an orange plastic handle and a small metal ball for whacking the glass.They come in a 2-pack and they also are seat belt cutters.  Seems like a good thing to buy and keep in your car.

HERE

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Honored Contributor

I would call 911 as I was breaking a window.