Honored Contributor

Re: If You Saw A baby left alone in a hot car.....

A funny story to lighten up this very serious subject. One day it was around 75 out, and sunny. We had our dog in the car with us and DH needed to stop at the auto parts store. I said I would wait for him so the dog and I were sitting in the car, windows all open. A lady came over to me and started reading me a riot act about leaving the dog in a hot car etc etc etc etc. She was really psycho and just went on and on about how the dog would die.I finally interrupted her and asked if she was aware that I was also in the car and it wasn't hot.The police arrived, she had called them before she approached me. They were more than a little ripped at her. I thought they were going to arrest her. She was so worked up - honestly, she needed sedated. The moral of the story is : before you get on your high horse in any situation be absolutely certain you are correct.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For babies. other children, and all animals:

1.  Call 911/tell someone to, at the same time breaking the window and removing the victim(s).

2.. Soothe them - and try to cool them down if necessary - while staying with them until the police arrive.

Don't care about the consequences; sue me / do whatever.

Every life matters, especially the extra-vulnerable ones (animals & kids) and those whose guardian couldn't even properly care for a rock.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maxine49 wrote:

@Bjjo wrote:

If an animal or child was in an unattended car in hot weather and appeared to be in SEVERE distress, I'd drop my purse, I get my hammer out of SUV and slam the front window out to rescue immediately, then call police. I wouldn't hesitate and not care about any consequences. Otherwise, I would call police first and remain by car for instructions and or their arrival. In my heart, I would want pet owner or parent be placed in hot car for a period of time. But life doesn't seem to work that way.  

I watched a police man demonstrate last night on TV how to break a car window.

First, do not break the window near where the child is sitting as they may get hurt by broken glass...so go around to the other side of the car. Use a tire iron, hammer, or some other metal object and hit the window on the lower front corner of the window---not in the middle of the glass where it is the strongest. The policeman whacked the car in the lower corner with the crow bar and the glass immediately shattered.  Then remove the shattered glass from the top down. Don't wait for the police to arrive as death can occur rapidly in these heated cars---even minutes can make a difference as they demonstrated on TV.

They showed a small hammer type device called a "window punch" you can buy at Home Depot and keep in the trunk of your car.  It had an orange plastic handle and a small metal ball for whacking the glass.They come in a 2-pack and they also are seat belt cutters.  Seems like a good thing to buy and keep in your car.

HERE

Great post Sheesh, and this is the exact same device that I have in my car.  When I purchased it, it was called the "Life Hammer". And thanks so much for mentioning about the blade on it that cuts the seat belts.

Honored Contributor

Since I am disabled I would dial 911 immediately and then scream at the top of my lungs.  However, 99% of the time one of my daughters would be with me, and she would try to break into the car.  We would also get into our own car and persistently honk the horn.  Anything to draw attention.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MissRose722 wrote:

@Maxine49 wrote:

@Bjjo wrote:

If an animal or child was in an unattended car in hot weather and appeared to be in SEVERE distress, I'd drop my purse, I get my hammer out of SUV and slam the front window out to rescue immediately, then call police. I wouldn't hesitate and not care about any consequences. Otherwise, I would call police first and remain by car for instructions and or their arrival. In my heart, I would want pet owner or parent be placed in hot car for a period of time. But life doesn't seem to work that way.  

I watched a police man demonstrate last night on TV how to break a car window.

First, do not break the window near where the child is sitting as they may get hurt by broken glass...so go around to the other side of the car. Use a tire iron, hammer, or some other metal object and hit the window on the lower front corner of the window---not in the middle of the glass where it is the strongest. The policeman whacked the car in the lower corner with the crow bar and the glass immediately shattered.  Then remove the shattered glass from the top down. Don't wait for the police to arrive as death can occur rapidly in these heated cars---even minutes can make a difference as they demonstrated on TV.

They showed a small hammer type device called a "window punch" you can buy at Home Depot and keep in the trunk of your car.  It had an orange plastic handle and a small metal ball for whacking the glass.They come in a 2-pack and they also are seat belt cutters.  Seems like a good thing to buy and keep in your car.

HERE

Great post Sheesh, and this is the exact same device that I have in my car.  When I purchased it, it was called the "Life Hammer". And thanks so much for mentioning about the blade on it that cuts the seat belts.

These, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Hammer-Emergency-Lifehammer-Must-Have/dp/B00CB8WM2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotiv...

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Safety-Seatbelt-Quality-Breaker/dp/B00NUX4REE/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8...

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-55-104-36-inch-FatMax-Wrecking%20Bar/dp/B0009UFJAW/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=...

Excellent post, MissRose!  

Print a copy to keep in your vehicle(s).