Respected Contributor

Re: If You Like Guacamole...

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 We lived in one house where we had an avocado tree in the back yard AND one across the fence in the neighbor's yard. They pollinated each other and we had avocados all year round. All summer we'd pick avocados, go buy the teeny bay shrimp, gallons of Thousand Island dressing, and voilá, instant dinner without cooking or heating up the kitchen. Soooo good!

I lovelove avocado slices on burgers. A Big Boy with avocado, all through HS and my 20s. No one outside SoCal will know what a Big Boy was. Only one place you can still get them.

There were Bob's Big Boys in AZ too. I don't think any remain today.

Honored Contributor

I well remember Bob's from my childhood. My last visit was with my husband. I ordered a hamburger and salad. The salad came with an uninvited guest. I sent it back and asked for another one. Yup, it had either same uninvited guest or a relative.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I visited Hawaii three years ago. We were on the Big Island driving through a residential neighborhood filled with huge trees. 

We suddenly heard a huge bang and felt something hit the roof of the car. We stopped and found it was a gigantic avocado. About the size of a grapefruit.

We took it back, to the resort with us and sliced it up for breakfast the next day. It was delicious!

LOL, love that story!

My omelets have to have avocado, among other things. Dream omelet? Bacon, avocado, onions, fresh mushroom and tomato. Same thing for a breakfast burrito but add hash browns.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I well remember Bob's from my childhood. My last visit was with my husband. I ordered a hamburger and salad. The salad came with an uninvited guest. I sent it back and asked for another one. Yup, it had either same uninvited guest or a relative.

Ewwww. 

As much as I've eaten out in my life, that's never happened to me...that I know of.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

My fave lunch sandwich lately is toasted, mashed avocado on one side, hummus on the other, grated carrot in the middle, maybe a few spinach leaves, sometimes a slice of tomato basil cheese.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Bri36 We lived in one house where we had an avocado tree in the back yard AND one across the fence in the neighbor's yard. They pollinated each other and we had avocados all year round. All summer we'd pick avocados, go buy the teeny bay shrimp, gallons of Thousand Island dressing, and voilá, instant dinner without cooking or heating up the kitchen. Soooo good!

I lovelove avocado slices on burgers. A Big Boy with avocado, all through HS and my 20s. No one outside SoCal will know what a Big Boy was. Only one place you can still get them.

Tee hee @Ms tyrion2, we had one in the western suburbs of Chicago back in the day.  I used to love to see that chubby little guy out front.  Unfortunately it's long gone but it looks like there may be a couple of locations in either Indiana or Ohio (too far for a road trip . . . Smiley Happy).

Honored Contributor

Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Moonchilde wrote:

I know they used to be in other states, when they were going strong. I think there are some still in other states but not sure their menu is the same. 

Most large nationwide grocery chains (at least in CA) sell bottled Bob's blue cheese dressing, Thousand Island dressing and hamburger relish, in the refrigerated section. It's all really good.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

My fave lunch sandwich lately is toasted, mashed avocado on one side, hummus on the other, grated carrot in the middle, maybe a few spinach leaves, sometimes a slice of tomato basil cheese.

I'm really picky about hummus. There were a couple of places in LA where I got freshly made (within hours) hummus and freshly made pita, and after that store bought hummus is never as good.  TJ's is decent, I'm sure, as it's a big seller there.

When I was working one of my go-to lunches was grilled cheese with tomato and chopped onion. If they had any guacamole around...

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Tee hee @Ms tyrion2, we had one in the western suburbs of Chicago back in the day.  I used to love to see that chubby little guy out front.  Unfortunately it's long gone but it looks like there may be a couple of locations in either Indiana or Ohio (too far for a road trip . . . Smiley Happy).

You're right @momtochloe!

I remember eating at Bob's in IL way back when

I used to buy Bob's Blue Cheese dressing in the grocery store a lot @Moonchilde. Loved it in the restaurants sans "uninvited guests" of course.  LOL. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I'm really picky about hummus. There were a couple of places in LA where I got freshly made (within hours) hummus and freshly made pita, and after that store bought hummus is never as good.  TJ's is decent, I'm sure, as it's a big seller there.

When I was working one of my go-to lunches was grilled cheese with tomato and chopped onion. If they had any guacamole around...

@Moonchilde

TJ's is what I get.  I recently discovered their olive tapenade hummus and I love it 😋