Honored Contributor

Re: If You Like Guacamole...

My mother made mashed avocado sandwiches for me ever since I was a little kid and now my daughter makes them AND guacamole at least a couple of times a week.

My mom also made onion sandwiches, mild, when I had a child.  They are pretty high in vitamin C.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde, I had an aunt from California that had avocado trees and lemon trees in her backyard.   I would be in heaven!   

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I love guacamole.   I like it chunky with tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, salt, and fresh lime juice.  

We eat avocados probably every day with something.  

When my kids were babies, I would mush up avocado and feed it to them.   

@Bri36, get outta my head.

Only fresh, simple guac. Your list is our recipe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Bob's Big Boy is sure a blast from the past for me.  My Dad loved that place and we ate there often.  Even his grandchildren used to complain they knew the menu by heart.  They had a chef's salad on the menu that was my favorite.  I did not know they were still open.

Back to the guacamole.  I make it with garlic, a little tomato, a little jalapeno, and a squeeze of lime.  I like it chunky.  

There is a Mexican restaurant near where I go to the movies that makes it table side.  Sometimes we will go get an order of guacamole and tortilla chips for lunch!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a local grocery store called Tony's that makes fresh guacamole & pico de gallo in various heats daily. Whenever I'm near there, I stop & pick up 3 containers of mild pico de gallo (love that stuff) & one of their big containers of freshly made guacamole. I use the guac as a dip for carrots, celery sticks, & I put it on sandwiches instead of mayo or mustard.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I visited Hawaii three years ago. We were on the Big Island driving through a residential neighborhood filled with huge trees. 

We suddenly heard a huge bang and felt something hit the roof of the car. We stopped and found it was a gigantic avocado. About the size of a grapefruit.

We took it back, to the resort with us and sliced it up for breakfast the next day. It was delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7, my grandmother used to make both avocado sandwiches and onion sandwiches for herself. At that age when she was doing it, I wasn't interested. She also used to make, and my mother said she took to school often during the Depression, mashed baked bean sandwiches. Yum!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Moonchilde

Bob's Big Boy is sure a blast from the past for me.  My Dad loved that place and we ate there often.  Even his grandchildren used to complain they knew the menu by heart.  They had a chef's salad on the menu that was my favorite.  I did not know they were still open.

Back to the guacamole.  I make it with garlic, a little tomato, a little jalapeno, and a squeeze of lime.  I like it chunky.  

There is a Mexican restaurant near where I go to the movies that makes it table side.  Sometimes we will go get an order of guacamole and tortilla chips for lunch!

@DiAnne, Bob's was our HS drive-in and I went there from junior high well into my 20s.

As far as I know, the last Bob's is the oldest, in Burbank.

IMG_1189.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7, my grandmother used to make both avocado sandwiches and onion sandwiches for herself. At that age when she was doing it, I wasn't interested. She also used to make, and my mother said she took to school often during the Depression, mashed baked bean sandwiches. Yum!

@Moonchilde

My mother made leftover baked bean sandwiches, too.  In fact... I still make them with picnic leftovers, delicious.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

There's a local grocery store called Tony's that makes fresh guacamole & pico de gallo in various heats daily. Whenever I'm near there, I stop & pick up 3 containers of mild pico de gallo (love that stuff) & one of their big containers of freshly made guacamole. I use the guac as a dip for carrots, celery sticks, & I put it on sandwiches instead of mayo or mustard.

@sgraham30,  I too love mild pico de gallo, and have been known to put some in my guac to save time.