Honored Contributor

Re: 👌🏾 If You Have to Fall on Ice 👍🏾

years ago I fell on ice on my left hip. I went to doctor because i really hurt after the fall. No x-ray was taken, doctor said if I am walking I didn't break anything,. I was about 35 yrs old or so.

To this day that hip is so painful now, can't bend my leg well any longer. have been to doctor about the pain. all they found on xray was arthritist has set in am near 70 now.

When I went down, I remember my left arm went up and out I was trying to break my fall.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac,

"I don't remember falling" is exactly my point in my other post. That is why instinct is so important when being a Ref in ice hockey/figure skaters/speed skaters and others the are on the ice on a regular basis.

When I mentioned how I fell backwards as a Ref, the experience of it happening goes like this, no matter how many times it happens. "I am skating  full speed forward/I flip around so I am skating backwards/1 skate hits a divot or piece of a stick or anything/that skate stops. Next thing I know I am looking at the ceiling lights". 

Do I remember falling? No, but my instincts took over and the only things that were hurt? First off, my feelings, then comes the butt and or tailbone, later maybe my back or an elbow. Without acting instinctively one has to depend on good luck, as reaction is too late.

I'd say you came out pretty well considering everything. I have sprained both wrists over the years from some form of being in an ice hockey game, and they seem to heal very slowly. I had a job lifting 60-80lb. reels of telephone wire using only 3 fingers on each hand, and my sprained wrists. Usually at least 200 each day.

What a great bank you had/have for sure. At my former bank for over 17 years, I ended up restrained in handcuffs, in public store, for over 4 hours. Had 4 police officers there over those hours. My crime? Trying to withdraw my money from the same bank's branch office in a Krogers Store where I had deposited a bunch of hockey money checks 2 days prior. Long story, so will leave it at that.

Just sayin, no matter how many times I've hit the ice rinks ice, or outside our home, remembering exactly the movement of the actual fall? Nope, I try to analyze where I hurt/what I hit during the fall, and hopefully eliminate the cause.

Stay well @Mz iMac and everyone when braving the outdoors during the winter days.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac-

That was really good of the bank to do that so willinglySmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'll try to remember. Honestly a fall happens so fast ,you are on the ground before you know it.

I am not sure most people have the  ability to break their fall, they just land.

@cherry

I agree. Falls generally happen in a split second with no time to think of anything, although there are exceptions. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I agree. Falls generally happen in a split second with no time to think of anything, although there are exceptions. 

@willdob3,

Ya got it! If you do not have instinct? It is too late, no exceptions other than maybe good luck.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@carba wrote:

The correct name is Due North, not get a grip. Just wanted to correct.

@carba-

The ones they have now are Due North but QVC did sell yak trax and "Get a Grip" several years ago.

I thought mine were yaktrax but after this thread, I went to look and its a dumb name but they are called "Get a Grip." They don't sell them anymore but they are the same as yaktrax. I haven't seen the Due North in person but I think they are all the same concept.

Someone said they don't work on black ice?

I hope they do. That's when we really need them.

I try to walk on grass or snow too instead of an icy sidewalk.

@hckynut-

I've always loved ice skating. If we had had the money I would have wanted to continue on into the olympics. I wasn't that good but had jumped and did spins and stuff. WEll not too many years ago we went skating at a rink and I remember thinking that the ice was way too rough to skate much less jump. I had never fallen doing jumps but sure enough did one and was in the air and then on my wrist. I didn't know it was broken but it looked like a hill. It didn't hurt but the guy looked at it and called the ambulance. They said I won the break of the night.

After the steel bar and 8 pins ,nothing they gave me took away that pain for a week! Not morphine-nothing. I cried all night in the hospital-I usually never cry. I heard a nurse yell shut up! 

I thought I will never let anyone put any bars in my arm again. I'll just have them cut it off!

When they took them out, weeks later the woman next door to me was having them taken out and was screaming. I thought jeez and oh no!

I just pretended my arm did not belong to me and it worked.It was over before I knew it.

But you can't do that if its your head or a toothacke lol!

Anyway a little kid in our school had bars and pins all in their leg and said it didn't hurt at all!

How did that happen-I will never know.

I wouldn't trade all the wonderful experiences though, despite bruises, scrapes broken wrists and all! I know you probably feel the sameSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

There's falling on ice and there's falling on black or glare ice!!  A week ago Sunday I was getting out of our truck and gently put my toe out on the ground before shifting my weight!!  The ground looked like very slightly wet concrete!  No snow, no chips of ice.... nothing I could see that even resembled ice .... and in a split second my tailbone hit the running board and then slipped so that I hit the same spot on my tailbone on the concrete!!  Omg painful!  Nothing much you can do about it.... and I've done everything I can.  If it's only bruised it'll take about 4 weeks to heal.  If it's fractured, it'll take about 12 weeks.... Great!

OH.... and as a former 2nd Degree Black Belt I've had extensive training in fallling.... there was no time at all to react!  Not even a second or two.  I was on the ground the same time I realized I was falling!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Mz iMac-

@on the bay

Witnesses & the video was the ONLY reason they offered me a nuisance settlement.  Believe me, I had no intention of filing a cliam.  Didn't cross my mind.  I was not seriously hurt.  No one was at fault. 

It was the bank manager who strongly suggested I file a claim.  They were protecting their interest.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Knowing how to "break dance" helps in falling on ice...

Related imageas well as being padded like a penquin....

Image result for a person flailing arms slipping on ice gif?Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Mz iMac-

@on the bay

Witnesses & the video was the ONLY reason they offered me a nuisance settlement.  Believe me, I had no intention of filing a cliam.  Didn't cross my mind.  I was not seriously hurt.  No one was at fault. 

It was the bank manager who strongly suggested I file a claim.  They were protecting their interest.

@Mz iMac-

Oh, I didn't think of that. I guess they were doing the smart thing for themselves.

Still, its nice that you got a check. I didn't think you were thinkg of filing a claim. I wouldn't have thought of it either.

I did have a sign fall on my head once at Walmart and they asked if I was ok and had me sit down and could they do anything but they didn't offer me anything. I can't even remember if they asked if I wanted to fill in an accident report.