Honored Contributor

If You Do This...You are Twice as likely to develop severe Covid 19

New research has found that those who smoke are significantly more likely to develop severe COVID. 

https://bestlifeonline.com/smoke-severe-covid-news/

Trusted Contributor

Re: If You Do This...You are Twice as likely to develop severe Covid 19

Thank goodness I never smoked a cigarette ever.  

Honored Contributor

I suspect smokers/vapers are more likely to develop all sorts of medical complications during their lifetimes. 

Trusted Contributor

I have heard that smokers should go to the front of the line and get vaccinated before everyone else.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden I am not even slightly surprised - Covid is primarily a respiratory disease, right?

I have a relative who is participating in an NIH clinical trial for a diffferent lung disease -  he and his wife wear KN95 masks even in their own home when they are in the same room.

I watched an older broher go through the end stages of emphysema.  I was never much of a smoler  probably a pack a year -- and not an inhaler, but once I watched that, I don't even allow people to smoke on my property let alone in my house.

Finally, of my 2 friends who never recovered, the one who had a pre-existing lung disease had the extra misfortune of falling ill during the early weeks last spring before the medical community had even started to get a handle on treatments.

There's no way any politician is going to tell me it's safe to go whever I would like to whenever I would like.  I'm following another friends's philosophy  --  she's 83 and tells me "If I get  terminal diagnosis now, I will be sad.  If I get one from *&^%Covid, I'll be angry."

Respected Contributor

Did they really need to do research to figure that out? Stands to reason if your lungs aren't in great shape that a respiratory disease would  certainly not be good for you. I was a heavy smoker for many years and have COPD and I'm pretty sure if I get CoVid, it won't be pretty.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops    I foolishly smoked for several years  and quit cold turkey one day  in 1980. and never looked back.I understand the addiction for those who smoke..... 

M y quiting smoking was a decision based on my health and wanting to LIVE. 

It was  one really good decision I made in my life that I feel saved my life as I was pretty addicted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is not surprising .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My mom smoked for more than 70 years and just survived it.  Don't give up hope for someone.  You never know. It is a strange and unpredictable thing. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

New research has found that those who smoke are significantly more likely to develop severe COVID. 

https://bestlifeonline.com/smoke-severe-covid-news/

Not surprising!  Smoking causes all sorts of problems.  I smoked when I was young but quit when I was in my late 20s.