Trusted Contributor

Re: If You Do This...You are Twice as likely to develop severe Covid 19

A snippet from a study in Israel:

"We carried out a population-based study among over 3,000,000 adult members of Clalit Health Services, the largest health provider in Israel. Since the beginning of the disease outbreak, and until May 16, 2020, over 145,000 adults underwent RT-PCR testing for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), and 3.3% had positive results. 

RESULTS Current smokers (9.8%) were significantly less prevalent among members tested positive compared to the general population (19.4%, P<0.001), and to matched members tested negative (18.2%, P<0.001). Current smoking was associated with significantly reduced odds ratio (OR) for testing positive OR=0.447 (95% confidence interval (CI) 0.400-0.501). Among patients tested positive, there was no evidence of significantly increased risk of developing severe or fatal disease.

CONCLUSION The risk of infection by COVID-19 appears to be reduced by half among current smokers. This intriguing finding may reveal unique infection mechanisms present for COVID-19 which may be targeted to combat the disease and reduce its infection rate."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.01.20118877v2

I know this is all very strange, but please don't shoot the messenger!

Respected Contributor

No surprise  -  it settles into and harms the lungs.

Esteemed Contributor

Back in high school in the late 60's, our science teacher taught us how cigarette smoke would damage our lungs.  He showed us x-rays and videos of blackened lungs and the damaged "hairs" in the lungs... all very graphic and creepy.  I never smoked a cigarette in my life!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

I have heard that smokers should go to the front of the line and get vaccinated before everyone else.  

They are, in my state. Very mixed emotions about that, I have to be honest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is news? Sounds more like common sense to me. Smoking...respiratory disease... d'uh.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

New research has found that those who smoke are significantly more likely to develop severe COVID. 

https://bestlifeonline.com/smoke-severe-covid-news/

As someone who recovered almost 8 years ago from over 110 pounds of morbid obesity, I often make the heartbreaking observation in the truly tragic memorials that

appear daily on our local TV stations, that earlier concerns over obesity were often justified.

If someone had told ME before I lost weight that it could impact favorably on my chances to live through a future epidemic, it would have had very little impact on my decision/ability to do that.

And then there are still whole bunches of those who willingly and enthusiastically and cheerfully deny the 500,000 altogether......

Honored Contributor

Now that idea bothers me, smokers before me, right after the ones at Guantanamo Bay? Our place can't get it together to let us even make an appointment.  He's 75 and I'm 73, thanks a lot!!!

I once smoked, but we quit a long time ago.  So did he, as a youngling, it was cool right? Huh!!!  

How stuff is done or not, amazes me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@agb80 wrote:

I have heard that smokers should go to the front of the line and get vaccinated before everyone else.  

In my state, once everyone over 75 is vaccinated the next tier is 65-74, continuing medical and frontline workers, and those with a serious illness on an A llist that includes cancer, organ transplantees, severe diabetes, etc. .... and smokers and obese.  I was "huh??" over the latter but then figure those are populations that would have a worse time with the virus and the goal is to keep the ICU levels manageable.

I was hoping asthma would be on the list so my 63 year old DH could get in line sooner, but despite him having severe bronchial asthma through no fault of his own, he has to get in line behind smokers. No matter how I analyze it, it aggravates me.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I doubt this will make any difference to long time smokers. If they pay any attention to the parts of the body this virus effects?  It goes right along with the other Cardiopulmonary and Respiratory Systems.

My view, as a former smoker, is that it is for many a slow suicide. Now with the virus present, it may speed up their trip.

Boy, it sure must make it hard for them when wearing a mask. And judging from the smell of smoke I can detect in clothes?  Can't imagine what a cloth mask smells like!  😣

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know in Ohio, people with substance use disorders were in the first Phase.  I'm not sure if that means smokers or not.  While I know some people are upset about that, if that is a group that can potentially suffer severe consequences should they get Covid, I'm all for them being vaccinated earlier rather than putting a strain on our healthcare system. 

I mean obese people are also high up on the list as well because obesity is considered a comorbidity.  Are those upset about smokers being high on the list also upset about the obese being high up there?