Respected Contributor

Re: If You Are/Were Single Is Match.com.....

@tansy  

@tansy wrote:

If something were to happen to my husband, I have zero interest in  another relationship.  

However, I know quite a few people that have had good luck with these services.  It’s how my son met his wife🙂

funny you should say that. i always said that as well. until my dh died. was alone for about 6 years, living in a small town. absolutly no where to meet anyone, except a bar, which i don't do, church was very small zero single men there, and so yes, did the online dating experience.  

as other posters stated, i would say, "most" are untruthful. 

and looking for "special alone time", married, or have no intention of actually wanting a relationship outside of the bedroom.  took me another 2 years of online "seeking", most did not want to make much of any effort to meet, (since i did live in a small coastal town) it would take travel time to meet.  i did finally get remarried after two years of nonsense, and lots of eye opening experiences online. 

Frequent Contributor

I was married for 13 years when dear husband passed away from cancer at 47 years of age.  I was alone, by choice, for four years.  My niece was the one that pestered me to join Eharmony.  Well, I joined and wasn't expecting anything.  I was very fortunate to have met my current husband within six month of joining.  He is one of the most loving, upstanding, generous men I've ever known.  We dated for three years and have been married almost four.   I'm glad I took a chance at love again!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

or the like something you would do or have done? After seeing numerous commercials about them I am just curious.

I have been married 50 yrs., and God forbid, if I was suddenly single I can't imagine I would be interested in dating at my age.  I have people in my life to do things with should I choose to go out. I am also fine by myself.

I know millions of people meet this way but to me it's the same as going off with a stranger. Mom told me never do that. lol I don't trust a company to vet someone for me. There are too many nutty people out there.

I had to laugh in one commercial the guy says he wants a woman who's trusting, not trustworthy, but trusting. I pointed it out to my husband and he thought it was a strange thing too.  He said maybe women in his past didn't trust him and the question is why?

So, would you date that way or have you?  

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Hehhh! I saw that commercial too and I thought “there’s a weirdo!” If I was healthy enough to date, I wouldn’t want to at this point in my life. You have to have a background investigation done on anyone you want to go out with. I’ve met my share of nuts over my lifetime. I’m happy with my own company and that of my very funny and amusing cat.

Honored Contributor

I have been single since 1999 and would never even consider doing one of those .com or anything of the like.  But then again I never want to be married again either.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Why is meeting on-line any different than meeting someone at a dance club, social function or at the supermarket, etc.? Most people who meet today - find their significant other on-line. Years ago I met a woman at my temple who met her husband on JDate and my ex-neighbor met her husand on eHarmony (both had long bad marriages). It's so easy to google people's names and addresses on-line to see if anything negative comes up. I've been using craigslist for many years for myself and friends to find roomies - and never had one problem because I know how to screen people.

Esteemed Contributor

My hubby has a friend that tried it and the pictures sure didn't match up to the real life person. 

I personally would not have any interest in going down this road. 

Regular Contributor

I hear you camelot. A lot of losers out there. At least with a dating service you can view interests, education etc. It's a toss up. The whole dating scene is a challenge

Respected Contributor

@viva923  Wow. That is so sad that your DH’s mom had to go thru that in her second marriage.  Kind of reminded me of my dad who remarried after my mom died (they were married 50+ years).   My dad and his new wife were in their mid-80s but her kids came around and stole money and other things from my dad. When my dad got ill a couple years later she wanted a divorce since she didn’t want to have to care for him.  That turned out to be a blessing.