Respected Contributor

Re: If You Are Retired Do You Do Your Own Taxes?

We are retired and I do our taxes using TurboTax.  Our taxes are less complicated now that we are retired but it depends on everyone’s individual situation. 

Respected Contributor

Continue to use Turbo Tax! No, it is not any more complicated with retirement.  I have used Turbo Tax for the past 15 years and have been retired for 6 years.  Why change now!

Trusted Contributor

I have been going to my local senior center since I retired to have my taxes done. If you are an AARP member, they provide volunteer tax preparers at no cost.  They do a good job.  I could probably do them myself, but I would rather have someone who is experienced and aware of any changes in the tax law to handle them for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Have CPA doing our taxes. I would rather pay him to do it right than do it myself.  The mistakes I would make would cost more than his fee.  That is how I feel.  Gives me a peace of mind. Every year we get a large refund, state and Federal.

Respected Contributor

DH does ours. He was H & R Dad for years too. 

Frequent Contributor

You do not need to be a member of AARP to get your taxes done for free. If you are 50 + and low to moderate income and have simple taxes, no rental incomes or complicated forms, you can participate in the AARP Tax Aide program. 

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2004/about_aarp_taxaide.html

The AARP uses Tax Slayer software and the returns are double checked by two of the trained volunteer preparers.

Respected Contributor

I have. done my taxes for 45 years. Until last year I did the old way of pen and paper returns. But last year I switched to Turbo. You rally can't make a mistake if you answer all of the questions and provide all income and expenses. it you do make a mistake it will reject the return and send you a text to let you know where the mistake is.  Our taxes are very simple to do. We take the standard deduction so no need to keep receipts. If you are getting a refund it will appear in your bank in a week or so.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have always done my own taxes. I did my first filing when I was 15yo.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have always done my taxes. If you have all your supporting items together, during taxes is  not difficult. I used tax software for a least 26 years.

The software has help, and the IRS has online publications. 

Respected Contributor

We’re both retired and DH does our taxes with TurboTax. We’ve already received our refund. 😊